News World News

Monday 22 October 2018

17 killed after rubbish dump collapse in Mozambique

The refuse in the poor, densely populated area of Maputo had risen to the height of a three-storey building.

Rescuers search for survivors at the collapse site in Maputo (AP)
Rescuers search for survivors at the collapse site in Maputo (AP)

By Christopher Torchia

As many as 17 people have died after heavy rains triggered the partial collapse of a huge mound of rubbish in Mozambique’s capital.

Authorities believe more bodies could be buried at the Hulene garbage dump on the outskirts of Maputo, and a search is under way.

The refuse in the poor, densely populated area had risen to the height of a three-storey building, according to the Portuguese news agency Lusa.

Half a dozen homes were destroyed and some residents in the area fled for fear of another collapse.

Fatima Belchoir, a national disaster official, said: “The mountains of garbage collapsed on the houses and many families were still inside these residences.”

Authorities are trying to help people who lost their homes, she said.

The Hulene garbage dump is the largest such facility in Maputo. People often comb through the garbage, searching for food and items to sell.

Health workers have long raised concerns about the impact of the fumes, flies and other hazards of the dump on the surrounding community. Municipal officials have previously discussed the closure of the dump.

Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News