At least 10 people were killed and several others injured when a huge fire tore through a hotel in northern India, police said.
The blaze broke out in a restaurant and quickly spread to the hotel next door in Pratapgarh in Uttar Pradesh state, said police superintendent Balikaran Singh Yadav.
Most of the hotel guests were asleep when the fire started at 3am. Mr Yadav said the fire was caused by a short circuit.
"The fire spread through the hotel before people could raise an alarm," he said. "Most guests were asleep and they could not escape."
Thirteen guests suffered burns and other injuries as they tried to get out of the four-storey building. Nine people with serious burns were taken to hospitals in the nearby city of Allahabad.
A dozen people were rescued and the fire has now been put out, police said.