Thursday 22 February 2018

TV3’s Sinead Desmond tells of heartache as she splits from husband of four years

Sinead Desmond and Dave Ryan. Photo: Kyran O'Brien
Sinead Desmond and Dave Ryan. Photo: Kyran O'Brien

Melanie Finn Showbusiness Editor

TV3’s Sinead Desmond has separated from her husband David Ryan, it has been confirmed.

In a statement this afternoon by her agent Noel Kelly, it was confirmed that the 38 year old Ireland AM presenter and her Cork-born partner are no longer together.

“On behalf of Sinead Desmond and David Ryan, it is with regret that after six years together Sinead Desmond and David Ryan have decided to end their marriage of four years.”

“There is no-else involved. David is a wonderful guy and we are still great friends. This is a private and personal matter and we hope you respect our privacy at this time. There will be no further comment from either David or myself,” she said in the statement released to the Evening Herald.

It has emerged that the couple parted ways nearly five months ago.

The news that she has decided to split from her husband will come as a huge surprise to viewers of the popular early-morning show.

The bubbly personality has betrayed no signs of the personal heartache that she had been going through over the past number of months.

However, some eagle-eyed viewers had noticed that she was no longer wearing her wedding ring in recent weeks.

She is not expected to be on the morning show tomorrow.

One of TV3’s anchor presenters, Sinead married the professional sailor and businessman over three years ago at a lavish ceremony in the south of France on May 2, 2009.

The pair originally met after Sinead came back to Ireland to take up the job with Ireland AM after a spell working as a features editor at a newspaper in London.

They got engaged in April 2008 and she has credited him with being a rock of strength to her throughout a difficult health ordeal that happened just two months afterwards.

She collapsed while working on Ireland AM after suffering from a suspected brain haemorrhage and had to be rushed to hospital for emergency treatment. Sinead spent two months recovering before returning to work again

Sinead has also spoke openly about her difficulties the couple had when it came to having children. Sinead said that it “hasn’t happened so far” but they hadn’t given up hope.

“We’re very aware of how much we have to be grateful for, so if you focus on the one thing that hasn’t happened, you’ll end up having a very negative outlook on life.

“We haven’t given up hope at all - we’re still trying very hard and getting all of the medical help that we need, so fingers crossed and God willing it will happen,” she said.

“But equally, if it doesn’t happen for us naturally, I would be very happy to adopt or foster - fostering is something I’ve always wanted to do.”

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in this section