Tuesday 21 November 2017

George Michael injured in a car crash

George Michael is said to be fine after the crash
George Michael is said to be fine after the crash

By David Wilcock

Chart star George Michael has been airlifted to hospital for treatment to head injuries after a motorway accident - the latest car drama for the troubled singer.

The 49-year-old singer was a passenger when the incident occurred on the M1 in Hertfordshire, with only one vehicle involved, his spokeswoman said.

Michael, whose hits include Faith and Freedom, was said by his publicist to be "fine".

The singer was close to death 18 months ago after being struck down with pneumonia in Vienna, but he fought back to perform again.

Yesterday's accident took place close to junction 6a on the northbound carriageway of the M1 in Hertfordshire, close to where the motorway meets the M25.

East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) said the patient "sustained a head injury and following treatment, stabilisation and immobilisation by land and air ambulance crews, he was flown to hospital for further care".

The service said three ambulances attended the scene after the 5.47pm accident as well as the Hertfordshire Air Ambulance. Just one person in the car was treated.

The former Wham! star's spokeswoman said: "George Michael was a passenger in a vehicle involved in a traffic accident yesterday evening, no third party was involved.

"He is being treated for superficial cuts and bruises but is fine. We have no further comment at this time."

In September 2010 Michael received an eight-week prison sentence following an incident the previous July in which he crashed his Range Rover into a shop in north London.

He was also given a five-year driving ban after he pleaded guilty to driving under the influence of drugs and possessing cannabis.

And he had earlier been banned from driving for two years and sentenced to 100 hours of community service in 2006 when he was convicted of driving while unfit through drugs after he was found collapsed in his Mercedes.

Following his brush with pneumonia in late 2011, Michael made a tearful appearance outside his London home after flying back into the country and said it had been "touch and go" whether he lived.

Doctors had performed a tracheotomy to keep his airways open and he was unconscious for some of his spell in hospital.

"They spent three weeks keeping me alive basically," he said. "It was basically by far the worst month of my life."Michael said he had been lucky to have become ill close to a hospital with suitable specialists, adding: "I have to believe that somebody thinks I've still got some work to do here."

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in this section