How to catch an online liar
There are some tell-tale signs that give away online liars.
A study on online dating in the Journal of Communication recently shed light on how to spot them.
• Daters who lie are less likely to use the first-person pronoun "I" in their profiles.
• Liars often employ negation: in other words, instead of saying exciting, they say "not boring".
• Profiles are shorter because the less they write, the fewer untrue things they have to remember.
• Daters who lie about age, height and weight also like to talk about work or life achievements instead of discussing personal appearance.
• Weight is what online daters lie about most, with height and age coming next.