Morgan Spurlock sued over sexual misconduct admission
The Super Size Me creator had been scheduled to make a series about issues affecting women.
Super Size Me’s Morgan Spurlock has been sued over his admission of sexual harassment and misconduct.
Turner Entertainment Networks (TEN) filed a lawsuit against Spurlock in Los Angeles on Tuesday, claiming his confession scuppered a project about women’s issues they were due to make together.
The network claimed that repeated attempts to get back funds transferred to co-defendant Warrior Poets, Spurlock’s production company he stepped down from, have been met with “radio silence”.
I am Part of the Problem— Morgan Spurlock (@MorganSpurlock) December 14, 2017
Lawyers for TEN accuse Spurlock, 47, of breaching a contract by admitting sexual misconduct and by failing to return the funds.
The US film-maker in December announced he was “part of the problem” in a Twitter post detailing past sexual harassment and infidelity in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.
He recounted a sexual encounter during his time at university which he believed was consensual, but the woman believed was rape.
He also admitted paying a settlement to a woman at his office who he addressed as “hot pants” or “sex pants”.
YouTube Red dropped his sequel, Super Size Me 2 Holy Chicken!, after the admission.
The sum allegedly being held by Warrior Poets was not openly disclosed in the lawsuit, with part of it being under seal.
TEN said Warrior Poets was due to produce a series called “Who Rules The World?”, which would focus on the “most divisive and complicated issues facing women today” including their experiences in the workplace.
The network also asked the judge to order an injunction on the bank account to prevent funds being “depleted”.
“Under information and belief, due to Spurlock’s Twitter confession and the resulting fall-out from the admissions, Warrior Poets is having serious internal problems and may not have the funds to compensate TEN for the breach of contract,” lawyer Neal Levin wrote.
Spurlock, also known for directing One Direction documentary This Is Us, said he was “seeking help” and hoped to be part of the solution by admitting his wrongdoings.