12 things you didn't know about Solange Knowles
Pre-Lift Gate, Solange was best known as the little sister of Destiny’s Child super star Beyoncé Knowles.
However, Solange has also pursued a successful career in the music and fashion industry.
Here are 12 things you need to know about the feisty singer;
1. Solange released her debut album ‘Solo Star’ at the age of 14. The album, produced by industry veterans such as Jermaine Dupri, Linda Perry and Timbaland, reached number three on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop and Hot Dance singles charts.
2. In 2006 Solange starred in the straight-to-dvd movie Bring It On: All or Nothing alongside Hayden Panettiere. The movie was widely deemed a flop.
3. Solange married Daniel Smith, a Texas Southern University football player, in February 2004 when she was 17 years old. She confirmed their divorced in October 2007.
4. Solange gave birth to the couple’s son Daniel Julez J. Smith in October 2004 when she was 18 years old.
5. In June 2008, Giorgio Armani announced that Solange was to become an ambassador for Armani Jeans. He told British Vogue; "Armani Jeans expresses my vision of a young, independent, casual lifestyle with a strong and cool, fashion sensibility. Solange epitomises this style perfectly."
6. In 2011, Solange became the new face of Rimmel London. She said, “When I announced my role with Rimmel, I felt really proud to see such a positive response, especially being that I represent someone of color, a single mom, an artist…and that I don’t have to compromise my views to do so!”
Solange styles an Esteban Coretezar creation
7. The music video for Solange’s 2012 single “Losing You” documents the fashionable Le Sape Society (“Society for the the Advancement of People of Elegance”). The video was shot in Cape Town, South Africa. The song received critical acclaim; The Huffington Post named it one of their 15 best songs of the year.
8. In recent years, Solange has captured the attention of fashion editors and designers, thanks to her vibrant and modern sartorial choices. She has starred in editorials for ELLE, Cosmo and Allure.
9. In January 2012, Solange walked in Alberta Ferretti’s Fall 2012 presentation in Milan. She wore a floor length silver gown, paired with her signature bold red lipstick and curly afro.
Solange in Alberta Ferretti's Fall 2012 presentation
10. In February 2012 she was selected by Vogue.co.uk as their guest “What I’m Wearing” blogger for the month.
11. Her favourite designers include Kenzo, Alexander Wang, Tibi, Opening Ceremony and ACNE.
Solange wears a Kenzo design to the Met Gala
12. Solange has attended the Met Gala for the last four years; she has worn designs by Dries Van Noten, Kenzo and Rachel Roy. Her date at the 2014 Met Gala was Phillip Lim, whose vivid orange design she wore on the night of the lift altercation with her brother in law.
Solange styling a Rachel Roy design at the Met Ball