The list... Triona McCarthy on the essential skincare items
She's making a list, and she's checking it twice . . . just in time for Christmas, our beauty buff is going to let you know what skincare is naughty or nice!
Here are my most highly-rated products of 2015. These should be on your Christmas list this year; they are a combination of budget and higher-end products that are worth splashing out on. #thelist
* Moisturiser: Lancome Renergie Multi-Lift, €79. The best-selling cream got a face lift this year, and now comes in three different textures, and has even more lifting and firming power.
* Night cream: Vichy Idealia Skin Sleep, €34.99. The pretty pink packaging, elegant fragrance, velvety-soft, almost whipped texture, and the way it instantly absorbs into my skin, makes it a must-have.
* Serum: Elizabeth Arden Superstart Skin Renewal Booster, €60. This boosts the overall effectiveness of my skincare regime, while also directly supporting the surface of the skin by reinforcing the integrity of the skin barrier.
* Oil: Kiehl's Daily Reviving Concentrate, €42.50. Not only does this remove signs of fatigue from the night before, the gloriously scented elixir is non-greasy and absorbs instantly.
* Cleanser: Sensibio H20 Micellar Water, €11.50, combines exceptional cleansing for the face and the eyes, and it has the power to remove even waterproof make-up.
* Eyes: Clarins Super Restorative Eye Concentrate, €61. It treats puffiness, dark circles, crow's feet and frown lines as it nourishes, restructures and gently lifts instantly.
Now, where was I? Oh yes, "Dear Santa . . ."
I've dusted down my party heels for the week that's in it. However, I've found my feet are frequently blistered after a night on the town, so now I put, wait for it . . . sanitary pads in my shoes to stop my feet slipping in my ill-fitting footwear. The pads also absorb sweat for fresh-smelling feet and twinkly toes.
I know, I know!
Party like McCarthy
Mother Triona is on annual leave this festive season, and Party McCarthy is back out 'n shaking it about, so I needed a Juliette Armand anti-ageing treatment with mobile therapist Clare, who assessed my skin and recommended the Chronos Therapy treatment, from €75.
It's part of the Skin Boosters range of treatments available nationwide. The luxurious treatment acts as a protective shield on the skin, guarding against dehydration, biological aging and environmental damage.
The facial was super nourishing and relaxing, and afterwards my skin felt so soft and hydrated.
I looked really refreshed, and like I was ready to hit the town with supermodel and party-loving gal Kate Moss.
Clare recommended using the Skin Boosters homecare products to maintain the treatment's effects from the comfort of my own boudoir, such as the fabulous Chronos Therapy Hydra Antitox Serum, €99, which leaves my face feeling like silk - perfect for party season! For more, see skinboosters.ie
Lipstick & lads
"I love seeing a woman in a man's suit. Why not have a lipstick named after a man?"
Tom Ford Lips & Boys, the hugely popular 25-shade lipstick collection that top designer Tom Ford released late last year, is back with 25 new boys' names.
The miniature lipsticks, €33, are perfect for popping into teensy-weensy bags, and they are all named after significant men in Mr Ford's life - like Peter; Wes; James; Justin, and my current favourite, John, right, a gorgeous pink!
My new favourite game is going to the Tom Ford counter in Brown Thomas, and randomly selecting a colour to see which man's name I get, because I'm still a teenager cleverly disguised as a grown up!
Triona's most wanted
I love, love, love nail polish! Ten brightly-coloured, shiny nails flying over the keyboard always puts a smile on my face and brightens up my day. I think I actually have more nail polishes on my desk than my local nail salon!
The, em, handiest thing, excuse the pun, is that I can paint my nails at my desk. So I often do them while I'm typing emails or filing copy, and then I let them dry while I'm on the phone.
If I wait until after I've finished work, with babies to be fed, bathed and put to bed, I never seem to get the time to do them, or if I do, I never have enough time to let them dry. They may seem dry, but I often wake up in the morning with sheet creases pressed into my red nails, which is not a good look.
Now that I've discovered essie gel setter top coat, €14.99, this is no longer a problem. This top coat gives the same rock-hard shine that you get with gel nails, but in a foolproof formula that doesn't require a lamp. It can be used on any nail polish, and it truly has a beautiful shine.
My home mani has already lasted me through a week of work, showering, nappy changing by two - you name it - and my nails still have a shine, and there's no chipping.
Best of all, you don't need sandpaper to take it off when you want to start over!
While down in west Cork, the 33rd county, I came across Lovato Candles, available from Brookes Pharmacy in Bandon, or on Etsy, see etsy.com/ie.
These all-natural, soy-wax candles are hand-made by a rather handsome young divil, Jason Hamilton-Foott, a UCC commerce student, if you don't mind, who does this in between studying for exams. The Fresh Linen scented candle, €10, is my fave, or try this Christmas Spice candle - the kutest Kris Kindle. #buyirish
Sunday Indo Life Magazine