Ruth Griffin: Boost your Becks appeal
'Tend it like Beckham' is the mantra for men's grooming
As one of the world's most famous sportsmen, David Beckham continues to challenge the notion of what it means to be "masculine" - he's forever challenging those old-school male grooming rules. The father of four has always experimented and reinvented his image (remember the sarong and the hairband?). The footballer is open about his fondness for grooming, his love of an odd manicure and has even been filmed nonchalantly plucking his brows.
He has now launched a men's grooming line, House 99, which includes a wide range of products from shampoos to beard scrubs, hair balms and moisturisers - all at a budget-friendly price point. He says: "For me, grooming is not only about how you look, but how you feel. It's about being comfortable, trying new things and shaping your next look. House 99 was created to support men, to give them the tools they need to create whatever look they are going for."
Granted, Beckham's look might not be every man's cup of tea but, with the World Cup just kicking off, the next few weeks will see as many ads for men's grooming products as for beer brands on our screens. So why not take his advice and find the tools you need to create a look that represents you? Below is some expert advice on the latest ranges. And on the opposite page you'll find some gift suggestions for marking Father's Day tomorrow.
TREAT Vs CHEAT
Elemis Men The Super Man set
A spa-worthy, luxurious travel bodycare kit with body wash, face wash and moisturiser. From Debenhams
The Real Shaving Co Mini Weekend Set
A no-nonsense, slimline alternative. From Boots stores and pharmacies nationwide
Father's Day gifts for every type of dad
For the Practical Papa
The Practical Papa is an uber-busy, 'pulled in all directions', working dad that wants a one-stop-shop skincare and grooming regime, and products that act fast and do what they say on the tin. Try these:
● Shiseido Men Hydro Master Gel, €40, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide.
● Lab Series Men's Collection, ranging from €27-78, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide. The Tech Trio Collection is a great bargain at €50.
● No 7 Energizing Men Supercharge Moisturiser, €17.50, from Boots stores. Keep an eye out for the limited edition No 7 Men's Energizing Skincare Collection - another good deal at €39.
● CK One Summer, €50, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide.
For the mindful millennial
This young dad is from a generation that is conscious of their skincare regime, and well used to minding themselves. Millennial Man is also mindful of the ingredients used in all his grooming goodies. He likes chemical-free, green, lean and eco-friendly packaged skincare products. Try these:
● Korres Men's Gift Set, €20.70, from Debenhams and pharmacies nationwide.
● Kiehl's Age Defender Eye Cream, €33.15, from department stores nationwide.
● Origins Ginzing Peel Off Mask, €30, department stores and pharmacies nationwide.
● Eternity Men Air Aftershave, €72.50, from department stores and pharmacies nationwide.
This silver fox is discerning in his tastes, and his grooming needs are no different. He wants to mind himself with minimum fuss, but is definitely fond of a luxurious pampering treat now and then. Try these:
● Hawkins and Brimble Limited Edition Gift Set, €59.99, from Boots stores.
● Dior Homme Aftershave Balm, €44, department stores and pharmacies nationwide.
● Kent Men's Military Style Hairbrush, €13, from Boots stores and iherb.com.
● Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Ultra Bleu Aftershave, €97, from department stores and pharmacies nationwide.
Inchydoney Island Lodge and Spa’s Father’s Day Spa package includes a two-night break with bed and breakfast. A bespoke afternoon of pampering in the spa starts with the Herbal Back Cleansing Treatment, followed by the Specific Pain Relief Algae treatment. Each dad will also receive an Elemis Instantly Refreshing Gel to take home. The package costs €275 per person sharing. If your dad lives near the Clonakilty hotel and you just want to give him a day out, it’s €149 for the spa treatments and Elemis gift.
Ask the expert with Aidan Corcoran
If you need inspiration for a present for Father's Day tomorrow, read on for some advice on the latest products and most popular lines from Aidan Corcoran, Brown Thomas beauty stylist.
What are the Latest trends in Male grooming Products?
Men are much more open to grooming products than in the past and actively look for them. They want to look groomed and professional. Gym and skincare have really merged to create a new athletic lifestyle where your skincare needs to work as hard as your dumb-bells.
What are the mistakes people make when gifting men's grooming products?
Buying them what you'd love them to use rather than what they'd actually use. Try be specific and realistic as to what the man's lifestyle is like. For Father's Day, I'd recommend the Clarins Multi-Protection SPF 50. It offers multi-protection and it's water-resistant, too. This is the perfect gift for fathers who play sports and spend time outdoors.
What's your top tip for choosing a grooming product as a father's day gift?
Get advice! Tell the person behind the counter who you are shopping for and what they are most likely to use. At Brown Thomas, the beauty style team are always are available to offer expertise when choosing gifts for your loved ones.
What are the store's five most popular grooming products?
1. Tom Ford Shave Cream. A creamy, rich and cooling cream formulated to soften the beard for a close, comfortable shave.
2. Tom Ford Conditioning Beard Oil, Oud Wood. This beard oil conditions and softens the beard and contains a lightweight blend of almond, jojoba and grapeseed oils. It smells amazing!
3. Aveda Men's Pure-Formance Shave Cream. This rich and refreshing moisturising formula preps the skin for a comfortable shave.
4. Clinique For Men Moisturising Lotion is fantastic for delivering long-lasting hydration.
What new gadgets are available?
The Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush is a fantastic gadget that offers a deep yet gentle cleanse.
What is the store's most popular aftershave?
Aveda Men's Pure-Formance Post-Shave Lotion is a two-in-one moisturiser and aftershave that combines organic lavender, vetiver and lemon. It smells divine.
What unisex products are popular in the store?
The Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Body Spray, a sumptuous holiday scent that contains crisp citrus oils, floral notes and amber undertones. From Jo Malone London, the Oud & Bergamot Cologne and the Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne are really popular scents.
To book an appointment with the Brown Thomas beauty stylists in the Grafton Street store, phone 01-617 1172 or email email@example.com