Tuesday 20 March 2018

John Galliano making industry comeback with Russian perfumery chain

John Galliano
John Galliano

John Galliano is making his comeback, this time in the beauty arena.

The British designer has quietly been re-introducing himself into the world of work following his sacking from Christian Dior in 2011 after he was caught on camera making anti-Semitic remarks.

It's now been confirmed that he has been working with Russian perfumery chain L’Etoile in a consultative capacity of late.

The hiring was announced via the company's website, which ran a fake newspaper headline screaming, "John is back!"

Russian newspaper Kommersant reported the news, revealing John has the role of creative director at the beauty company. Sources told the publication the designer will be taking up the position fully on May 22 and will be in charge of pushing the company's cosmetics brand forward.

The designer's representative Liz Rosenberg has confirmed the news, explaining the exact nature of the projects he is involved with will be made public when the time is right.

British designer John Galliano appears during Christian Dior Fall-Winter 2009/2010 Haute-Couture collection show held at their headquarters in Paris, France on July 6, 2009. Photo by David Miller/ABACAPRESS.COM (Pictured: Christian Dior, John Galliano)

After John was filmed making racist remarks he was dismissed from Dior and from his eponymous label. He retired from the limelight and went to rehab in America, revealing he had been suffering from alcohol and prescription drug addiction at his subsequent trial.

He was rarely seen in public over the new few years, although several fashion stars, such as Patricia Field, Franca Sozzani and Grace Coddington, spoke out in his favour and insisted he had paid for his actions.

Early last year Oscar de la Renta helped John begin his return to fashion by hiring him to help with his New York Fashion Week show. There were then reports the shamed star might work for Oscar full time, but it's understood they couldn't agree terms.

At the time of John's work with the esteemed designer, The Anti-Defamation League spoke out about him, with the organisation's director Abraham H. Foxman fully supporting the designer's decision to return to work and praising him for his recovery efforts. It was explained John had met with the league and "dedicated a significant amount of time to researching, reading and learning about the evils of anti-Semitism and bigotry".

In June last year the star gave his first interview since the scandal, in which he spoke of his horror at what happened.

"My assistant told me about the video. When I saw it, I threw up. The feeling was like I was about to take a step out onto the street and a bus or truck whooshed past me and the blood was drained from my legs. I was paralysed from the fear," he recalled to Vanity Fair.

"It’s the worst thing I have said in my life, but I didn’t mean it... I have been trying to find out why that anger was directed at this race. I now realise I was so f**king angry and so discontent with myself that I just said the most spiteful thing I could."

Online Editors

Style Newsletter

Stay on top of the latest fashion, beauty and celeb gossip in our Style newsletter.

Editors Choice

Also in this section