Sales of ‘shapewear’ rocket - have women ditched the January diet already?
It seems that those New Year’s Resolutions have gone out the window, as more and more women look to shapewear for a solution.
Women may claim to be sticking to the New Year diet resolution but demand for shapewear paints a different picture.
Figures from Debenhams show sales of supportive underwear have increased by 22% so far this January.
The rise in demand for all brands of shapewear coincides with a survey carried out by the retailer which found that just over 83% of women questioned said they had previously failed to maintain diet resolutions by the end of January.
Other studies claim that the vast majority of us will have abandoned our New Year resolutions to lose weight by “Fail Friday” – the end of the third week in 2015.
The growing demand for shapewear, which uses innovative super-stretch technology for firmness without discomfort, has also been boosted by female celebrities admitting to using the “Bridget Jones style” control pants to achieve a smooth and slender red-carpet look.
Famous fans of the lingerie include many with enviable physiques such as former Bond girl Gemma Arterton, Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Alba.
Debenhams head of lingerie, Sharon Webb said: “It’s no secret that many of us struggle to maintain our well-intentioned New Year resolutions to get slimmer and fitter once we return to the normality of our everyday lives after the Christmas break. However, when you have celebrities with figures such as Jennifer Lawrence and Beyonce admitting to getting a little help from shapewear now and then, I don’t think the rest of us need to worry about using the same tactics to ensure we look our best in certain outfits.”
“Women want to look and feel amazing in their clothes regardless of whether or not the latest January diet has been successful and great shapewear can smooth, lift, control, flatten and define the figure, helping women to look and feel at their best all the time,” Sharon added.
Here are Sharon’s top five tips for buying shapewear:
1. Consider what area of the body you want to control; whether this is tummy, thighs, hips or all over control.
2. Consider what level of control is required. The Debenhams range varies from medium to extra firm, offering shaping enhancement and smoothing effects, through to everyday control.
3. Keep in mind what you will be wearing over your shapewear and consider colour and styling. We offer everything from everyday shaping knickers to glamorous firm control for special occasions, as well as seam-free and very light weight pieces for invisible control and smoothing.
4. When shopping for shapewear, never buy a size smaller; always buy your current dress size. Buying a size down will not have a more slimming effect and will only create a roll, or bulge and feel uncomfortable.
5. Always step into your shapewear. This is the easiest way to put shapewear on and ensures the control is in the correct places on the body.
For the full range visit your nearest store or go online at Debenhams.ie (Prices start from €6.)