Over-zealous eating over the Christmas period invariably means that I tend to play up my make-up for the New Year festivities, trying something bold, in an effort to distract from the food pouch.
But that aside, for a lot of people, NYE is the biggest night of the social calendar, a final chance to wow in 2015. With that in mind, why not also try something different.
"If you're looking to spice up your make-up and step away from the looks you've already rocked over the party season, add stylish sophistication to your look with a gorgeous, bold purple lip", suggests Olivia Brown of Sleek Makeup.
Bold lips are a trend that endless celebs - including Katy Perry (pictured) have been sporting recently. It's a versatile look and surprisingly very flattering, working across all skintones. If you don't want to go for bright purple, why not try a strong berry lip instead. It's equally flattering and impactful.
In general, where NYE make-up is concerned, Olivia advises opting for products that are described as long-wearing. The last thing you need on an important night out such as this is having to do frequent and elaborate touch-ups.
Dos and Don'ts of Party Make-up
● Use glitter to highlight one feature of your face. Glitter is festive, but be careful not to overdo it. If you want to play up your eyes, use an eye shadow with a hint of glitter in it. If you want the focus to be on your lips, use a glittery gloss.
● Have a heavier hand than you normally would. Even if you don't want to try a new look, double or even triple what you normally do to be extra glamorous.
● If you don't usually wear foundation, now is the perfect time. It will give your skin a beautiful, even, toned look that will last all night long and look great in those all-important photographs.
● Be sure to give your lashes an extra coat of mascara or even apply a pair of false lashes. If you want to deepen the shade of your eye shadow, wet your brush. The shadow will adhere better and the colour will be more visible.
● Build your make-up gradually so you can add to your look slowly. It's much easier to build up than to try and remove what you've already applied, and remember to blend, blend and blend again.
● The thing you want to avoid is being one colour from head to toe. Look for colours that will compliment your look, not match it perfectly.
● Don't neglect your nails or toenails. Make sure they're suitably dressed up too.
Always test out a new make-up look out before debuting it. The last thing you want is regret.
A step-by-step guide with Olivia Brown, of Sleek Makeup
1. Make sure your lips are well conditioned and there are no flaky bits. A very soft toothbrush coated in some Vaseline is great for exfoliating the lips.
2. Line the lips with a liner that is as close to your lipstick shade as possible. I would use Sleek's Eau La La Liner in Venom, €5.99.
3. Fill in your lips with your chosen lipstick. Again, I would use Sleek's True Colour Lipstick in Mystic, €5.99. For more control and accuracy, use a lip brush to apply the colour. Build up in layers until you achieve the colour intensity you want.
4. Dust a soft champagne-coloured highlighter on the eyes and buff out gently. A purple lip looks amazing with a subtle black cat-eye flick.
5. To finish the look, apply individual lashes just on the outer corners of the eyes - this will give you a chic feather finish.
6. Because there is so much drama to the lips, the rest of the face should look clean and flawless.
7. Apply a light dusting of translucent powder on the T-zone to keep shine at bay.
8. Finish off the look by sweeping a powder highlighter onto the high points of the face and you're good to go.
Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation €36.50, MAC, available in Brown Thomas and BT2 stores nationwide
Rain, sweat, heat, nothing moves this medium-to-full coverage foundation from MAC. It's the ideal party base as touch-ups are never needed.
True Colour Lipstick in Mystic, €5.99, Sleek, available in selected pharmacies nationwide
A highly pigmented and buttery soft lipstick in the most flattering pinkish/purple shade. Also, this range of lipstick is enriched with vitamin E helping to hydrate and protect the lips.
Doublewear Stay in Place Gel Liner, €25.50, Estée Lauder, available in selected department stores nationwide
My absolute favourite gel liner. It's glossy, it's smooth, it's easy to apply and it lasts for more than 12 hours. Just make sure you have a heavy-duty eye make-up remover at hand!