| 7.4°C Dublin

Super-sub Dean Rock the difference in titanic battle


Tyrone goalkeeper Niall Morgan and team-mate Cathal McCarron in action against Jason Whelan

Tyrone goalkeeper Niall Morgan and team-mate Cathal McCarron in action against Jason Whelan


Tyrone goalkeeper Niall Morgan and team-mate Cathal McCarron in action against Jason Whelan

Dean Rock produced two moments of magic as Dublin edged out Tyrone by 0-18 to 0-17 in a thrilling Division One decider at Croke Park.

Dublin were trailing with minutes remaining but the Ballymun Kickhams star scored two excellent points to help Jim Gavin to his first piece of silverware as Dublin boss.

There were two forced changes before the game with Conor McAliskey coming in for the injured Stephen O'Neill and Dublin's Paul Flynn replaced by Jason Whelan.

Bernard Brogan opened the scoring from a free and Dublin could have had an even better start but Cian O'Sullivan failed to hit the target when presented with a great goal chance.

Sean Cavanagh got Tyrone off the mark before another Brogan free restored Dublin's advantage.

A brace from Diarmuid Connolly stretched Jim Gavin's side's advantage.

Great work from Mark Donnelly created a goal chance for Tyrone but McAliskey blasted it over with Cluxton closing.

Mattie Donnelly's left-footed score and Niall Morgan's free levelled matters before Bryan Cullenkept the reigning Leinster champs in front.

Brogan's third free and Paddy Andrews fisted point made it 0-7 to 0-4 after 20 minutes.

Sean Cavanagh had to be content with a point when he slid in to meet a superb through-ball that could have resulted in a goal.

Mark Donnelly's hard running was causing problems and James McCarthy was forced to pull him down with Martin Penrose pointing the resultant free.

Brogan and Cavanagh swapped frees before Michael Daragh Macauley found Jason Whelan superbly but Morgan pulled off a great save that allowed Paul Mannion to point.

Conor Gormley score was cancelled out by a superb Mannion score from an almost impossible angle.

Niall Morgan's and Conor McAliskey's booming point made it 10 points apiece at the break.

Morgan and Mannion swapped points after the restart as they speed of the game ramped up.

McAliskey and Mannion exchanged points as the nip and tuck nature of the game continued.

Morgan and Brogan were again on target before Brogan missed a routine free and Mark Donnelly fisted Tyrone into the lead.

Cathal McCarron produced a moment of magical defending to deny Brogan a goal first flicking away and then blocking his goalbound shot.

Philly McMahon levelled the game with a point from distance before Morgan restored Mickey Harte's men's advantage.

Paul Mannion missed a free off his normally reliable left foot as the pressure and tension rose with 10 minutes remaining.

Cluxton and Penrose swapped pressure frees before Dean Rock, on as a sub for Bernard Brogan, scored a great solo point to level things.

As the clock struck 69 minutes Rock produced another amazing score and Niall Morgan tipped over Jack McCaffrey's shot.

Sean Cavanagh pulled one back in injury time but Dublin held on in a classic.

Online Editors