Ten-pin Bowling - Michael Conboy
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Michael Conboy
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Bowling
CLUB DETAILS: Corrib Bowling Club
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
I get to meet people and travel to many places.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I am involved at Bowling over the past 12 years.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I train at home weekly and I meet up with TEAM IRELAND every month for 1 day Training and 3 Residential weekends.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was overjoyed when I got a phone call from my Mam.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory is when I got my GOLD medal in Ennis, Limerick at The Ireland Games.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I am a Warehouse Assistant.
I go Clubbing every Monday night.
FROM THE COACH
During TEAM IRELAND training for 2007 and 2011 Michael attended the sessions in Dublin as a supporter to two of his Club mates. He took the train to Dublin in the morning and was at the Training venue before we were. He would sit and watch the Training and head off again. I was thrilled to hear of his selection this year as he has been a tremendous supporter to others.