Kayaking - Rita Quirke
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Rita Quirke
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Kayaking
CLUB DETAILS: Moore Abbey Club
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
I like it as it keeps me fit and makes me feel very welcoming.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I am involved in kayaking for eight years.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I will be training every week with my club and every month with Team Ireland.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was over the moon and my whole family squealed with excitement.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
MY best memory was getting two gold medals in Limerick 2014.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I like table tennis and swimming. My favourite pastime is listening to music as I love dancing.