Kayaking - Ian Staunton
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Ian Stauntoun
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Kayaking
CLUB DETAILS: Galway Kayaking Special Olympics Club
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
It means I will get strong and improve my kayaking.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I was involved in swimming for the European Games 2005/6. I have been with my Kayaking Club since 2012.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I am eating and drinking healthy.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was very happy and I was jumping up and down all over the place celebrating.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory is dancing up on the podium at the Limerick Games when I received my gold medal.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I like to go dancing to Discos. I go swimming every Wednesday and I also play basketball. I love to go shopping with my mum.