Gymnastics - Patrick Quinlivan
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Patrick Quinlivan
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Gymnastics
CLUB DETAILS: SALTO Special Olympics Club Belfast and North West Special Olympics Letterkenny
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
I am now involved with Special Olympics for almost 30 years. It is part of me. It is my main interest.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
Gymnastics is my main sport. I have also been involved with Basketball, Athletics and Swimming.
20 years involved through St. Bernadette’s Special School, North West Special Olympics Club and Salto Special Gymnastics Club.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I train every day. I train Wednesdays at Belfast and I am also part of their development squad.
I work at Aura Leisure Centre, Letterkenny and also coach at Letterkenny Community Gymnastics.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was over the moon!
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
All are special but I won 4 Gold and 2 Silver medals in North Carolina in 1999 - VERY SPECIAL.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I work full time at Aura Leisure Centre, Letterkenny as a Cleaner. I am also a qualified Life Guard.
I train every day at Gymnastics and go to Belfast every Wednesday to train.
I have a Level 1 Coaching Certificate and coach at Letterkenny Community Gymnastics Club every Thursday and Friday. I live on my own. I have a flat from Donegal County Council.