Golf - Patrick Rutherford
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Patrick Rutherford
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Golf
CLUB DETAILS: Ennis Golf Club
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
At my age – MARVELLOUS!
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been involved in Golf for 25 years.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
There are 7 centrally planned events – 4 times per month at Ennis Golf Club.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was surprised, shocked and very happy.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory is the fulfilment I feel.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I partake in Triathlons, Golf, Coaching Golf and Athletics.
I am a Widower with two Sons and 6 Grandchildren.