Equestrian - Thomas Connolly
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Thomas Connolly
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Equestrian
CLUB DETAILS: Night Riders Special Olympics Club, Sligo
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
Being a Special Olympics athlete means enjoyment of mixing with different people and I am happy to have a chance of taking part.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been involved in equestrian for three years; table tennis for ten years. I also do walking - football - gym.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I train every week with the club on Tuesdays and Team Ireland training once a month. I am starting gym work after Christmas and I like walking and I walk every for one and half miles and I go cycling.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I felt shock and great happiness. I thought it was a mistake! Now I am very excited.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory is mixing with loads of athletes at the National Games and making friends and meeting new coaches. Winning gold medal in Limerick was wonderful.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I like basketball; table tennis and horse riding. I love playing and watching football. I love walking the ponies. I love to play pool int he pub - but no drinking! I love the music of Foster and Allen. I work in the Radisson one day a week. I have two sisters, four brothers, and I am the youngest.