Basketball - Lydia McGowan
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Lydia McGowan
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Basketball
CLUB DETAILS: Special Olympics Eastern Region - Bray Lakers
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
It makes me feel inspired and wonderful.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
Basketball - I have been playing for 6 years with my club.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I am doing my Ireland Games and Bray Lakers Games. I'm great at swimming, gym workouts, hiking and walking.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I feel excited and pleased because if I am going to play in the United States, I feel like playing in the N.B.A. (National Basketball Association).
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
Being a talented player and making my team and coaches proud.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
My hobbies besides basketball are: swimming; gym workout; bowling; hiking; video games; watching TV or movies; shopping; hanging out; cooking; easting in restaurants; partying; e-mailing; the internet; Facebook; music; travelling and trying new things.