Wait goes on for new signings despite Hull agreeing fees
Hull caretaker boss Mike Phelan is not expecting any new signings to boost his threadbare squad before Saturday's game against Manchester United despite "a few fees" being agreed.
Phelan, placed in temporary charge when Steve Bruce resigned last month, has guided a squad of 13 fit senior players to third in the Premier League on the back of unexpected wins against champions Leicester and Swansea.
Bruce quit over his frustration at the lack of new arrivals following promotion in May and with Hull's owners, the Allam family, still working to push through the sale of the club to a Chinese consortium, Phelan has had to work with the same limited resources.
"It's the same old, same old," said Phelan, who is preparing his side for a home game with the club where he spent nearly 20 years as player, coach and assistant manager before departing Old Trafford soon after Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013.
"Nobody has yet come into the building. We haven't signed any new players.
"We are in talks with two or three new players. We've set our stall out and are pursuing interests but at the moment nothing has been delivered."
Phelan said the Tigers had made offers for several players and that he would ideally like to bring in six before the transfer window closes on Wednesday. He stopped short of confirming one of his targets was Tottenham midfielder Ryan Mason.
"We've agreed a few fees but haven't got into discussions yet down the line as to what else it's going to cost us on top of that," he said.
"We have discussed the players, without going too far because they are still at their football clubs.
"We have agreed fees with players and their clubs and with agents, so we just have to pursue those and see between now and next Wednesday evening whether we can get those done.
"We need as many as we can get. We talked a few weeks ago about maybe six, now that may be more, it may be less. We just have to pursue our interests and see if we can do those deals."
Phelan is desperate to keep hold of striker Abel Hernandez and centre-half Harry Maguire, linked with moves to Aston Villa and Middlesbrough respectively, as he looks to build on his side's encouraging start to the season.
"As it stands nothing has happened in those areas and I expect nothing to happen in those areas," Phelan said.
"We've got quality football players we need to keep at this club and I hope these players will still be here after Wednesday."
It understood that a Chinese consortium headed by a brother and sister partnership of Dai Yongge and Dai Xin Li are close to completing their takeover at the KCOM Stadium.
"I've spoken to who might potentially be the new owners, yes, but not about my future, just where they are at the moment," Phelan added.
"Everything I believe is with the Premier League at the moment. I think they're going through their paperwork and we'll see where that takes us in the next week or two weeks."
When asked if the takeover was key to his future, Phelan said: "I don't really know. We just have to get on with the football and that's what I've intended to do all along.
"Obviously now after the game on Saturday there is a window of 10 days to sit down and see what lies ahead, so I'll take that opportunity then to do that."