Villas-Boas remains tight-lipped over Real Madrid Bale bid
Andre Villas-Boas has added to the uncertainty over Gareth Bale's Tottenham Hotspur future by refusing to disclose whether the club have received a bid for the player, amid claims in Spain the player has told the London club he wants to join Real Madrid.
Bale, who will miss today's Barclays Asia Trophy clash against South China in Hong Kong because of a muscle strain, is the subject of strong interest from Madrid and Manchester United, with both clubs prepared to pay in excess of £50m to sign the Wales international.
Reports in Spain claimed Spurs quoted Real £100m for Bale, which is well beyond what the Spanish club could afford, and said Bale had told Tottenham he wanted to join Madrid.
Villas-Boas said that Tottenham were continuing contract negotiations with Bale, but was not prepared to say whether they had received bids for the player.
"We are not going to make any comment on that," Villas-Boas said, when asked if a bid had been lodged for Bale by a rival club.
"We are speaking with his agent about possible improvements to his contract, but we don't need to make any further statements than the ones we made regarding the transfer speculation or his contract."
Although Bale is contracted to Spurs until 2016, Villas-Boas confirmed in Hong Kong that efforts to extend his current deal have been under way for almost 12 months.
"We renewed his contract at the beginning of last season, and it is something that is being dealt with by the chairman and the agent. At the moment we're confident that the player is under contract at Tottenham," Villas-Boas said.
Spurs, meanwhile, face competition from Liverpool in their efforts to sign Valencia striker Roberto Soldado. Tottenham director of football Franco Baldini failed to secure an agreement to sign the Spanish forward during a recent trip to Spain and Liverpool are now understood to have identified Soldado as their preferred replacement for Luis Suarez should the Uruguayan leave Anfield this summer.
Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen is battling to be fit for the start of the season after Villas-Boas confirmed that the Belgian suffered ligament damage during Wednesday's game against Sunderland.
Tottenham have announced the signing of FC Twente winger Nacer Chadli (23) for £7m. (© Daily Telegraph, London)