Trapattoni dismisses report of Juve return Newcastle keen on Andrews
GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI has dismissed reports linking him with a return to Juventus, insisting that he has no intention of going back to the scene of his former glories.
Juve boss Ciro Ferrara is facing the sack after Saturday night's defeat at home to Roma. The Turin club have lost six out of their last eight Serie A games.
Guus Hiddink, unsurprisingly, has been strongly linked with the position, but the option of hiring Trapattoni until the end of the season has been mooted. The 70-year-old won the Scudetto six times, in addition to the European Cup and the UEFA Cup (twice) in his two stints with the Bianconeri.
"Juventus have not called me, but even if they do, I can say that it was a nice memory in my career that cannot come back," said Trapattoni. "The Juventus jersey is not just a shirt. It's a coat of armour. It weighs so much on your shoulders."
While not mentioning Turkey by name, Trapattoni admitted there had been interest in his services in the wake of Ireland's traumatic World Cup exit. But he insisted that he would honour the contract extension he signed before that night in Paris, which will keep him at the helm until the conclusion of the 2012 European Championships campaign.
The tone of his comments would suggest that he has no plans to retire afterwards, though.
Newcastle keen on Andrews
NEWCASTLE UNITED manager Chris Hughton is eyeing up a swoop for fellow Irishman Keith Andrews.
However, Blackburn Rovers boss Sam Allardyce will let the Dubliner leave only if Alan Smith goes the other way in an exchange deal.
Andrews has been in and out of the side at Ewood Park in recent weeks, but is well regarded by Allardyce who awarded the 29-year-old a new contract last summer amid reported interest from Fulham.
Meanwhile, Preston manager Darren Ferguson has told Celtic or any other interested parties that they will have to pay in advance of £4m to secure the services of Sean St Ledger.
On the home front, Cork City captain Dan Murray is expected to attend pre-season training today, although his future with the club remains in doubt.
Murray has fallen out with the club hierarchy after being openly critical of owner Tom Coughlan and, after discussions with Collins on Friday, it appeared that the English defender was going to be allowed to pursue his options elsewhere, with Shamrock Rovers very keen on him.
Subsequent talks between the manager and player resulted in an agreement that Murray would continue training this week.