Nabil Fekir rejects claims of long-standing knee problem as agent confirms deal to Liverpool is still on
Nabil Fekir has rejected claims of a long-standing knee problem after his move from Lyon to Liverpool was aborted.
The 24-year-old attacking midfielder appeared set to move to Anfield, only for OL to call off negotiations prior to the World Cup.
Fekir faced the media on Tuesday, denying reports of a chronic problem after a serious knee injury in 2015 and insisting his focus was on France's World Cup campaign.
"My knee is great. Honestly, I feel like before my injury," Fekir told a media conference, according to lequipe.fr.
Fekir was also questioned about the reported presence of Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas in Russia.
He added: "I am with the France team, I am happy to be here. I'm not here to talk about my personal situation. We'll see later."
Meanwhile, Liverpool's bid to sign Fekir from Lyon is not over, according to the player's agent.
A £53million deal for the exciting attacker was almost complete last week with representatives from Anfield travelling over to France to complete a medical.
There were conflicting reports with a knee problem cited by some while Lyon were angered with leaks as details from the deal emerged. Lyon are a publicly listed company, and reports with financial details may have affected their share price.
Although there has been no indication from Liverpool of the nature of the late hitch, the circumstances are self-evident. The fact everything was agreed pending the outcome of the medical explains when complications arose. There are confidentiality issues preventing details of medical examinations being made public so there will be no confirmation from either side as to what caused the rethink.
Read more here:
But Fekir's agent, Jean-Pierre Bernes, says the deal will be reassessed after the World Cup..
"He didn't sign because um... it is not over! This is not the end of the story," said Bernes on French TV channel LCI on Monday night.