Manchester United are in talks with Brazilian outfit Internacional over a permanent transfer for Old Trafford outcast Anderson.
The 26-year-old midfielder, whose current deal at United ends this summer, has been told he can leave the club by manager Louis van Gaal after failing to impress the Dutchman since his arrival as David Moyes’s successor.
And despite a lack of interest in the former Porto player, who cost £26m when signed from Portuguese outfit in May 2007, United have now been approached by Internacional, who are prepared to take Anderson back to his home city of Porto Alegre before Monday’s transfer deadline.
Anderson has made just two first-team appearances under Van Gaal this season - the last coming as a substitute in the 0-0 draw at Burnley last August.
And with the player proving a flop since his arrival from Porto, United had struggled to offload him following a failed loan spell at Fiorentina last season.
United had been prepared to cancel Anderson’s contract in the absence of interested parties this month, but with no fee likely to be involved to take him to Internacional, there is hope at Old Trafford of a positive outcome to talks with the 2006 Fifa World Club champions.
Meanwhile, United youngster Andreas Pereira is facing an uncertain future at the club according to his father, Marcos.
Pereira is out of contract at United in June, with Paris Saint Germain keen to recruit the Belgian midfielder.
"We've heard the PSG rumour, but they haven't contacted us yet,” Marcos Pereira said. “We don't even know if they have had contact with Manchester United.
“All I can say is that my son wants to play. At this moment, that's not the case.
“He plays at Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs in the world, but if the club wants to sell him now, PSG would be a very good club for Andreas.
“His contract expires in six months, but all depends on United. Do they want to sell him or don't they?
“If Andreas stays at United this winter, we'll try to talk to United again on a contract extension."