Wednesday 29 January 2020

Three charged over London Stadium crowd violence

The Metropolitan Police said a
The Metropolitan Police said a "significant number" of officers needed to be deployed in the stadium to deal with the "unacceptable" outbreak at the EFL Cup round of 16 derby, which was won by West Ham 2-1.

Three people have been charged following crowd violence which erupted at the West Ham v Chelsea match on Wednesday, Scotland Yard said.

James Colin Smith, 36, of Monklands, Letchworth Garden City, was charged with common assault, assault on police, and possession of class-A drugs.

Nicholas Greenway, 51, of Eversleigh Road, Battersea, was charged with threatening behaviour under section four of the Public Order Act.

Michael Parker, 27, of Alexandra Road, Mitcham, has been charged with throwing missiles contrary to section two of the Football Offences Act.

All three have been bailed to appear at Thames Magistrates' Court in November.

Two hundred people face football banning orders following the violence, West Ham and the London Stadium said.

A total of six people were arrested after the clashes.

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic described the scenes as "unacceptable", while the club "unreservedly" condemned those involved, who they will seek to identify.

A Chelsea fan said he and his eight-year-old daughter were pelted with coins during the disorder.

A joint statement read: "West Ham United and London Stadium are finalising the identification of 200 individuals who will receive stadium bans having been involved in incidents of disorder during West Ham's EFL cup victory over Chelsea.

"Rapid progress has been made in the investigation with extensive CCTV footage being shared with West Ham United, London Stadium partners, the Metropolitan Police and Chelsea Football Club.

"Banning notifications will be issued for offences ranging from the use of abusive and offensive language to missile throwing. In line with our zero tolerance policy, all those involved will receive a seasonal or lifetime ban depending on the severity of the offence."

Three other men who were arrested have all been bailed pending further inquiries.

One, aged 27, was detained on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly; another, aged 25, on suspicion of threatening behaviour; while the third, aged 40, was arrested on suspicion of assaulting police and threatening behaviour, the Met said.

Police and stewards battled to maintain segregation behind the goal being defended by West Ham as coins, seats and other objects appeared to be thrown between rival supporters.

Online Editors

The Left Wing: Ireland's Six Nations target, a French revival and Ian Madigan's future

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport