Monday 19 March 2018

Ten-man Arsenal fight back to snatch point at Tottenham

Aaron Ramsey (right) has been linked with a move to Manchester United
Aaron Ramsey (right) has been linked with a move to Manchester United

Arsenal recovered from a red card for midfielder Francis Coquelin to earn a 2-2 draw in the north London derby at Tottenham.

With leaders Leicester away to Watford in the late kick-off, both sides were looking to put pressure at the top of the table.

Spurs, who began the day in second place, three points behind the Foxes, started brightly and saw Erik Lamela force a fine reaction save from David Ospina, deputising for the injured Petr Cech.

Arsenal, though, took the lead on 39 minutes via a clever backheel from Aaron Ramsey.

The Gunners, who had lost three games in a row, were reduced to 10 men on 55 minutes after Coquelin collected a needless second yellow card for tripping Harry Kane.

Spurs levelled on the hour through defender Toby Alderweireld, before they quickly went 2-1 ahead with a fine curled effort from K ane (62).

However, a first league goal since October for Alexis Sanchez with 14 minutes left secured Arsenal a share of the bragging rights.

At the other end of the table, Bournemouth increased the pressure on Newcastle manager Steve McClaren with a 3-1 win at St James's Park.

The Cherries, who have moved clear of the relegation zone, took the lead on 28 minutes when Josh King's cross was deflected into his own net by Newcastle defender Steven Taylor.

King made it 2-0 on 70 minutes, as the boos rang out from the home support.

Ayoze Perez's goal with 10 minutes left gave Newcastle hope before Charlie Daniels made sure of victory with a third in stoppage time to leave the home side deep in relegation trouble.

West Ham came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at Everton, who had midfielder Kevin Mirallas sent off in the first half.

Romelu Lukaku scored on 13 minutes, but Everton were soon reduced to 10 men when Mirallas was sent off on 34 minutes for a second caution.

Aaron Lennon scored a fine individual goal on 56 minutes to seemingly put the hosts in control, before Lukaku had a 71st-minute penalty saved.

Michail Antonio reduced the deficit on 78 minutes left and just three minutes later substitute Diafra Sakho headed in an equaliser, before Dimitri Payet won it with a last-minute goal.

Manchester City closed to within two points of the third-placed Gunners when they beat bottom club Aston Villa 4-0 at the Etihad Stadium.

City hit Villa with two goals early in the second half through Yaya Toure on 48 minutes and Sergio Aguero quickly scored another just two minutes later before the Argentine forward added a third on the hour mark.

Raheem Sterling made it 4-0 after 66 minutes, with Agero also hitting the woodwork from the penalty spot on 73 minutes.

Chelsea continued their recovery under Guus Hiddink, but were held to a 1-1 home draw by Stoke.

Bertrand Traore fired the hosts into the lead on 39 minutes, but j ust when it seemed the Blues were closing out another victory, Mame Biram Diouf headed in an equaliser with five minutes left.

Swansea beat struggling Norwich 1-0 at the Liberty Stadium with a goal on 61 minutes from midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Sunderland looked to have boosted their own survival hopes with a late strike from J ermain Defoe (84) at Southampton.

However the Saints, who had Jose Fonte sent off on 79 minutes, snatched a point in stoppage-time through Virgil van Dijk.

Press Association

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport