Swansea chairman ‘dismayed’ by ongoing ball boy fallout
SWANSEA chairman Huw Jenkins has described the police investigation into the Eden Hazard ball boy incident at the Liberty Stadium as "remarkable".
Chelsea playmaker Hazard was sent off by referee Chris Foy for kicking Charlie Morgan in the closing stages of Wednesday night's Capital One Cup semi-final second leg.
The Belgian lost patience when the 17-year-old ball boy refused to hand over the ball after it had gone out for a goal-kick. Morgan fell to the ground as Hazard attempted to get the ball from him, with the 22-year-old then trying to kick it from under him but appearing to instead make contact with the youngster.
While the teenager insists he has no intention of pressing charges, South Wales Police have been obliged to continue investigating the incident after receiving three complaints.
"Three calls have been received from members of the public living in Sussex, Kent and west Wales which are being followed up,'' a police spokesman said.
Jenkins, though, is incredulous and just wants to move forward after his club's achievement of reaching their first major cup final was overshadowed by the incident.
Jenkins told Sky Sports News: "On a personal note I find it remarkable that there is any thought of police action.
"Things are done in the heat of the moment and probably everybody looks back and wishes things had been done differently. We accept how things are and all move forward.
"I want everything to get back to normal as quickly as we can, move on and look forward to our next game against Sunderland."
The Football Association is reviewing footage of the incident and the Belgian's automatic three-match ban for violent conduct can be increased in "exceptional circumstances''.
Jenkins would like to see the investigation dropped and said: "That would be my personal feeling, but I can't control what others are going to do.
"Speaking on behalf of the club, it's something we'd quickly like to forget."
Reaction surrounding the incident shows no sign of abating with QPR manager Harry Redknapp absolving Hazard of blame and instead branding Morgan's actions as "disgusting''.
"Hazard toe-poked the ball under the boy's body. Why is the kid lying on the ball in the first place?'' he said.
"You can imagine the frustration - you're a player trying to reach a cup final but there's this kid behaving like an idiot who won't give you the ball back.
"Hazard didn't kick the kid, he kicked the ball underneath him, but the whole thing got blown out of all proportion.
"I can think of a lot of players who would have kicked a bit harder than he did. He just toe-poked the ball away.
"The boy was tweeting before the game that he's a super time-waster. The way he behaved was disgusting.''
Morgan himself briefly broke his silence last night, tweeting: "Crazy 24 hours. Spoke to Hazard and I will not be pressing charges. Be in touch.''
It also emerged Morgan was no mere ball boy but the son of millionaire Swansea director Martin Morgan.
Charlie's parents Martin and Luisa Morgan own almost a quarter of the Premier League club and their son enjoys a lifestyle most professional footballers would envy.
Lifelong Swans fans, the Morgans amassed their £42 million fortune through owning and selling a travel agency and then investing in boutique hotels.
Irish Independent Sport Star Awards
Pick our magic sports moment of the year and win a trip for two to London. To view the shortlist and cast your vote click here.