Sport Soccer

Wednesday 22 November 2017

Ron real sorry for seeing red

real madrid Cristiano Ronaldo has proclaimed his innocence over the challenge that broke a defender's nose and which saw the midfielder dismissed.

The former Manchester United player struck Malaga's Patrick Mtiliga while challenging for the ball during Sunday's 2-0 victory and was shown the red card for the second time in less than two months.

"I didn't mean to injure the lad," he said. "I'm very sad for what happened. It was bad luck to hit him on the nose because he's only 1.70 metres and if he had been taller I would have struck his chest. I wouldn't want to injure anybody. I'm not that type of person."

Ronaldo had earlier scored both of his side's goals to leave Madrid five points behind leaders Barcelona in La Liga, and insisted he preferred to do his talking on the pitch.

"I'm not a bad person, I only want to shine by playing football," he said. "Now I'm going to be angry when I get home because I won't be able to play through suspension."

Ronaldo apologised to Mtiliga after the incident but could now be banned for up to three games, beginning with Saturday's trip to Deportivo la Coruna.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport