Tuesday 12 December 2017

Quigley sets up Drogs stroll as Bohs bow out with whimper


Luke Byrne, Bohemians, in action against Ryan Brennan, Drogheda United.
Luke Byrne, Bohemians, in action against Ryan Brennan, Drogheda United.

BOHEMIANS barely put up a fight against Drogheda United at Dalymount Park.

BOHEMIANS barely put up a fight against Drogheda United at Dalymount Park.

Despite their proud history in this competition, winning it seven times, Bohs never got going and had no answer to the goals from Stephen Quigley, Declan O'Brien and Philip Hand.

Ahead of kick-off, referee Neil Doyle offered his apologies to Bohs for his incorrect awarding of a penalty against them in the recent draw with Shamrock Rovers. But Drogheda were not as generous.

The visitors wasted little time in seizing control when Quigley smashed in a left-footed strike after the Bohs defence failed to clear a cross from Jason Marks.

With just five minutes gone, they were a goal up and asking questions of their hosts who have struggled at home this year. And they kept on pressing forward, with Marks seeing a shot blocked.

Aaron Callaghan's team did have flashes of positive play, with Ryan McEvoy's free-kick slipping through goalkeeper Gabriel Sava's hands to hit the post.

Then, after good work by Chris Lyons, the ball found its way to Buckley, whose low shot rebounded off the post.

It was a good chance, but that was the best that Bohs could muster.


Despite deploying an extra man in midfield in their 4-5-1 formation, they were out-matched in their individual battles, with rookie right-back Michael Barker struggling to cope with Marks.

Bohs' failure to provide support to their under-fire team-mate resulted in Marks zipping past him on 38 minutes to cross for the unmarked O'Brien to rise up and head in Drogheda's second goal.

It was all too easy for the Boynesiders and they could have added a third goal if O'Brien had been more accurate with a volley. But they were happy to have a two-goal lead without having got out of second gear.

In an effort to turn things around, Bohs brought on Kevin O'Leary at the start of the second half, switched to 4-4-2 and adopted a more aggressive approach that finally got them moving.

By quickening their passing and dictating the tempo of play, Callaghan's men began to create some openings, with O'Leary denied a chance to pull a goal back by the out-rushing Sava.

However, some slack defending saw them fall further behind when Cathal Brady slipped a pass to substitute Hand to smash a shot in via the underside of the crossbar to wrap up the victory.

BOHEMIANS – Delany; Barker, Mulcahy, Lopes, Byrne; Wilson (O'Leary h-t), Buckley, Pender, McEvoy, Mulligan (Moore 75); Lyons (Kelly 70).

DROGHEDA UNITED – Sava; Quigley, McNally, Byrne, Grimes; Brady, O'Conor, R Brennan (Daly 86), Marks (Hand 58); O'Brien (Cassidy 64), Hynes.

Ref – N Doyle (Dublin).

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport