| 4°C Dublin

Vertonghen the difference as Spurs hold firm in scrappy finale

Tottenham kept their patience and their nerve to secure this victory over Swansea that elevated them to fourth in the table and laid to rest a ghost.

On a taut afternoon that appeared destined to end in a short-passing stalemate, with Tottenham's dominance foundering on the massed ranks of Swansea's tackling technicians, it took a 75th-minute set-piece, and Jan Vertonghen's first league goal, to put Spurs in a winning position. It then took 15 minutes of defiance to hang on to it, with the players and crowd fighting memories of the previous week's late capitulation at Everton from an identical position.

The collapse at Goodison Park was the most extreme example of Tottenham's vulnerability to late goals, 10 of which have been shipped in the last 10 minutes.

Had those goals been kept out, Spurs would sit top of a notional table based on games lasting only 80 minutes. Andre Villas-Boas will settle for fourth in the real table, particularly after surviving a late barrage from visitors who only abandoned their principles in a desperate search for an equaliser.

Those efforts meant the game ended in acrimony, with both benches joining a melee after Swansea striker Michu was flattened by goalkeeper Hugo Lloris as he raced from goal to clear with his fists.

Swansea manager Michael Laudrup was enraged that referee Mike Dean failed to stop the game, and his players equally angry at Tottenham player Andros Townsend's attempt to score on the counter-attack, apparently unaware that Michu was laid out in the other penalty area.

In the melee that followed, Kyle Walker and Chico Flores clashed, with pictures suggesting the defender had raised his hands at his opposite number, while Villas-Boas joined substitutes including Mousa Dembele on the field.

The Spurs manager played down the incident, explaining that he had gone on to the pitch to try to calm the situation, and said his side had deserved their victory.

"I think if one team was going to win, it was going to be us. Swansea, defensively, were very, very good and it was difficult to break them down. But we had so many opportunities and chances that it would have been extremely unfair to come out with a point from this game. A hard fought win but truly deserved," he said.

Villas-Boas was right in his analysis, but for long periods he seemed destined for frustration as Tottenham's efforts foundered on Swansea's game defence and cautious approach.

The Halfway Line Newsletter

Get the lowdown on the Irish football scene with our soccer correspondent Daniel McDonnell and expert team of writers with our free weekly newsletter.

This field is required

The visitors are rightly praised for the addiction to passing that they again displayed here, but they were also intent on denying Tottenham space for their attacking talents to flourish.

And for long periods, despite the efforts of Jermain Defoe, playing his 350th Premier League game, Aaron Lennon, Dembele and Walker, it looked like succeeding as Swansea sat back and soaked up pressure, with their captain Ashley Williams outstanding.

After a bright opening 10 minutes from the visitors, Tottenham wrested control of possession and saw shots from Defoe (twice) and Emmanuel Adebayor blocked. A better chance was spurned after 25 minutes, when Lennon wasted a chance to find Defoe in space 10 yards from goal.

As the half tailed off two pure strikes from distance almost broke the deadlock. The first, a searing half-volley from Kyle Walker left Swansea goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel a spectator as the ball cannoned away off his shoulder.

Michu, the league's leading scorer, almost added his most spectacular with an opportunistic hit from just inside the Spurs half that just cleared the bar.

Tottenham survived a scare within a minute of the restart, when Nathan Dyer produced a header worthy of his name, glancing wide from a matter of yards after Wayne Routledge crossed.

On the hour, Sandro, Lennon and Defoe combined to play in Walker, galloping up on the right. His finish was as slack as his earlier effort had been rousing, slicing high and wide.

After 75 minutes of surgical probing, the law of sod dictated that the breakthrough should come courtesy of the blunt instrument of a set-piece. After Townsend, on for Adebayor, was fouled by Routledge, Walker swung in a free-kick that defender Ben Davies could only glance on to Vertonghen, who finished smartly on the half-volley. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Most Watched