Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas calls on Charlie Adam to apologise to Gareth Bale
Andre Villas-Boas has said it would be "extremely human" of Charlie Adam to apologise for the poor tackle on Gareth Bale but added that Tottenham Hotspur were yet to hear from the Liverpool midfielder.
The Spurs head coach disclosed that the club “were discussing” whether action could be take against Adam, who Bale later accused of making a premeditated attack on him, and added: “In my opinion, as far as the matter is dealt, it would be extremely human of Charlie to come out with an apology. But you can’t force people to say anything and we will have to wait and see.”
Adam has so far refused to comment on the incident during the friendly between the two sides in Baltimore on Saturday. However, it is understood that the Scot was confronted by several Spurs players after the match to explain his action.
The tackle followed another nasty challenge, when Adam was at Blackpool, which ruptured Bale’s ankle ligaments ending the winger’s season early in May 2011.
“There is history between the two players,” Villas-Boas added as he was asked to comment on Bale’s reaction.
“It’s Gareth speaking and felt strongly after the match bearing in mind the player didn’t go to him to apologise for what was considered a difficult and nasty challenge. The words came out of his mouth and I’m sure he said it in full consciousness.”
However, there is relief at Spurs that the injury to Bale’s ankle is not as bad as first feared and he will be fit for the start of the Premier League campaign.
He trained lightly on Monday morning and then went for another precautionary scan in the afternoon and could play a part in Spurs’ final pre-season match against New York Red Bulls on Tuesday evening before flying back to London.
“He has light training which you saw and is going to have a scan now to see if everything is OK,” Villas-Boas explained. “Hopefully if everything will be OK he will be in condition to play against the Red Bulls.”
Villas-Boas confirmed that Spurs were close to selling Steven Pienaar to Everton, a fee of around £4 million is understood to have been agreed, but denied suggestions that a deal had been settled for Luka Modric to finally join Real Madrid for £36 million.
He also confirmed that Spurs remained in the market for a senior striker and that talks were ongoing with Manchester City’s Emmanuel Adebayor. There are other attacking targets under consideration, it is believed, including Shakhtar Donetsk’s Willian and Fulham’s Moussa Dembele.
Heurelho Gomes will start Tuesday evening’s match which means that Villas-Boas has given all three of his senior goalkeepers — Carlo Cudicini and Brad Friedel — a game on this tour and the head coach claimed that the trio were all in contention to be his first-choice at the start of the season.
Spurs also intend to keep Jermain Defoe, who has returned to training, in London, as he deals with the death of his cousin, Hannah, in a holiday accident on a Caribbean island.
Tim Cahill will make his debut for Red Bulls against Spurs after agreeing a deal to join from Everton.