Wednesday 21 February 2018

Struggling QPR rue missed chances

QPR 0 West Ham 0

QPR's Steven Caulker in action against West Ham goalkeeper Adrian at Loftus Road yesterday
QPR's Steven Caulker in action against West Ham goalkeeper Adrian at Loftus Road yesterday
QPR's Charlie Austin has his penalty saved by West Ham's Adrian
West Ham United's Kevin Nolan and Queens Park Rangers' Joey Barton compete for the ball

Dion Fanning

QPR missed a penalty and had a goal harshly disallowed but it was hard to escape the feeling they got what they deserved at Loftus Road yesterday. It was a scoreless draw played at Championship standard and that's where Chris Ramsey's side are heading.

For most of a long and tedious afternoon, QPR didn't seem to be putting up much of a fight. The final 20 minutes were energetic and West Ham's goalkeeper Adrian saved brilliantly from Karl Henry and Matt Phillips but there was no sustained pressure and there is no fight left in this side.

QPR have had their opportunities this season but none of them have been taken. The appointment of Ramsey after Harry Redknapp resigned did little to lift the club.

QPR have failed to win at home since Ramsey took over and with only one home game remaining and away matches at Anfield and the Etihad in the next two weeks, things, if possible, will get worse as they drift aimlessly towards the Championship.

The first half had the appearance of an end-of-season game between two mid-table sides. This was half-right as West Ham, with one win in 12 matches, have been cruising towards the summer and Sam Allardyce's departure for some time.

QPR, on the other hand, had a lot to play for, perhaps too much. They began brightly with Matt Phillips running promisingly down the right and laying the ball off to Sandro whose shot was saved by Adrian's foot.

Adrian's feet were to cause more problems. Nedum Onuoha had cleared off the line when Reece Burke - making a promising Premier League debut - headed towards goal but then QPR had a penalty and things looked promising.

Bobby Zamora's shot had bounced off James Collins' hand and Charlie Austin stepped forward. His penalty was in keeping with the standard of the game. He hit it straight and low and Adrian saved it with his legs while diving to his right.

That was it for the first half except as a study of human misery but the second half had more life. Aaron Cresswell's free-kick was saved brilliantly by Rob Green who tipped it onto the bar before Sandro and Zamora shot over for QPR.

The home side's only moment of injustice came when Dunne headed in after a scramble which had begun when he headed a ball straight up in the air from a corner. Caulker went in on Adrian but if that was a foul, it was harsh.

From that moment, QPR were all about their nerves. Leroy Fer miskicked while Kouyate missed the best chance of the game and put it over.

Adrian saved from Henry and Phillips thought he'd won it when he drove the ball hard towards the top corner but the goalkeeper again denied him. In truth, QPR had probably denied themselves.

Sunday Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport