Robin van Persie confirms he won't sign a new contract with Arsenal
ARSENAL striker Robin van Persie has confirmed that he will not be signing an extension to his contract at the Emirates which runs out next summer.
In a statement on his personal website, the Dutch international said: "As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the boss [Arsène Wenger] and Mr [Ivan] Gazidis after the season.
"This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.
"I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days. Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal should move forward.
"I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.
"I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal. Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch.
"I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last eight years. As soon as Mr Gazidis is back from his two-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments."
Earleir this week Juventus had a €10 million offer for Arsenal striker Robin van Persie rejected by the North London club.
Robin van Persie's future is the subject of conjecture
Gazzetta dello Sport said Juve had tabled an unsuccessful bid for Van Persie, who scored 27 goals for the Gunners last season and has been the subject of speculation linking him with Juventus, Manchester City and Paris St Germain.
The Gazzetta report said Juve would have to increase their offer to stand any chance of landing the Netherlands international.
On Sunday, Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini suggested that he was unlikely to sign Van Persie for the Premier League champions.
City have been strongly linked with a swoop for 28-year-old Van Persie, whose future, having entered the final 12 months of his contract at the Emirates, is uncertain.
But Mancini told Sky Sport Italia: "Van Persie? He is an Arsenal player and I don't want to disrespect Wenger.
"We have four strikers and we will start the pre-season in five days. It's unlikely there will be major changes in such a short time.’’