Monday 23 April 2018

Redknapp talks up Spurs legacy

Jamie Holland

Harry Redknapp believes that whoever takes over from him at Tottenham will inherit a squad capable of winning the Premier League.

Spurs confirmed the 65-year-old's departure yesterday and Everton manager David Moyes was immediately installed as favourite to take over. Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, former Chelsea head coach Andre Villas-Boas and Rafael Benitez are also believed to be in the frame.

Redknapp insists the Spurs squad -- which includes the likes of Gareth Bale and Luka Modric, both linked with moves away from White Hart Lane -- can go on to bigger and better things, despite having faded badly over the final weeks of a campaign which had for so long promised so much.

"I leave behind some fantastic players. The only disappointment I have is that I think it was a team which could have gone on and eventually won the Premier League in the next year or two," Redknapp said.

Redknapp felt yesterday's outcome was always on the cards, regardless of how the campaign ended -- with Spurs losing out on Champions League football despite finishing fourth in the Premier League, because of Chelsea's Champions League final triumph over Bayern Munich last month.

"We missed out on third place by one point in the end, but that is how it goes," he said. "I think the same outcome would have happened, the chairman would have gone down the same road.

"I had four great years at Spurs. All you can do is leave the club in a better state than you found it and I did that, for sure. I abide by their decision and don't hold grudges. That is life. We all move on."

Redknapp had transformed the fortunes of the north London club after taking charge in October 2008, and chairman Daniel Levy said in a statement that the decision to remove him was one the board had not made lightly.

Redknapp maintained that there were no disagreements over a new deal, with suggestions he had asked for longer than the 12-month rolling terms on offer.

"It was nothing to do with contracts or me asking for anything at all. I had a year left and that was fine," Redknapp added.

"It was just a case the club decided they wanted a change and that is their decision because they own the club."

Redknapp maintains he has no plans to retire, and could now be set for a move overseas, with a long-standing offer of a coaching role in Dubai said to be on the table.

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport