Tuesday 24 October 2017

Old Trafford return for Ronaldo would be 'impossible' - Mourinho

Cristiano Ronaldo. Photo: GETTY
Cristiano Ronaldo. Photo: GETTY

Cristiano Ronaldo will not be returning to Manchester United this summer, with manager Jose Mourinho admitting a move for the Portuguese has always been "mission impossible".

Last month the 32-year-old became disgruntled as he felt singled out for disproportionate treatment by Spanish prosecutors, who accused the Real Madrid striker of evading tax of €14.7m and he was believed to have told those close to him he wanted to quit the club and Spain.

That stance seems to have softened and talk of a summer return to Old Trafford has dissipated.

Mourinho worked with his compatriot in Madrid and says a reunion was never on the cards.

"We have never thought about it because he is too much of an important player for his club," he said.

"I am not a defender of my club once I waste time on players who are mission impossible."

Mourinho gave a list of summer targets to executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward with the hope of making four top-quality additions.

United have so far brought in Victor Lindelof and Romelu Lukaku, with the latter's arrival said to have ended their interest in Real striker Alvaro Morata.

"He belongs to Madrid," said Mourinho. "We have not come to an agreement. I don't think he can end with us. It is a shame."

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport