Liverpool 'tapping up' scandal takes new twist
The Liverpool tapping-up scandal has been reignited after the club were accused of submitting a "falsified" document to the Premier League when trying to lure a 12-year-old schoolboy from Stoke City.
Liverpool were yesterday facing imminent legal action from the unnamed boy, now 13, and his family, having failed to make amends for leaving him unable to play academy football, as well as putting his parents in thousands of pounds of debt months after their plight was revealed.
Compounding the litany of transgressions over which Liverpool became the first club to be punished under strict new Premier League rules - and the lengths to which they were allegedly prepared to go to conceal them - they have now been publicly accused of altering the date of a signature on his academy-player registration application.
Father and son completed the document on September 2 last year - three days before the boy began the new school year at his private school, the fees for which Liverpool had agreed to pay until he was 16.
The club told the pair not to date their signatures - an instruction the father ignored to ensure the moment was accurately recorded.
The next time the family saw the document - after it had been submitted to the Premier League - all the signatures on it were dated September 21.
Liverpool refused to deny altering the date of the father's signature on the document without his consent or dating other signatures September 21 before submitting it to the Premier League. They said it was standard practice for such documents to be filed within a period of days after being completed and that, because other relevant paperwork was not ready by September 2, a decision was made to leave the boy's registration undated. (© Daily Telegraph, London)
Irish Independent Sport Star Awards
Pick our magic sports moment of the year and win a trip for two to London. To view the shortlist and cast your vote click here.