| 7.5°C Dublin

Kouyate rescues Hammers with last-gasp strike against Canaries


Robbie Brady celebrates his goal

Robbie Brady celebrates his goal

Justin Setterfield/Getty Images

Robbie Brady celebrates his goal

Cheikhou Kouyate rescued a point for West Ham with a stoppage time equaliser in a thrilling 2-2 draw against Norwich at Upton Park.

Substitute Nathan Redmond looked to have given Norwich a first win at the Boleyn Ground in 26 years with a fine late effort. However, deep into stoppage time, Kouyate bundled the ball home following a goalmouth scramble to secure a share of the spoils.

Earlier, Republic of Ireland international Robbie Brady had fired the Canaries into the lead, before the Irons levelled through Diafra Sakho. Mark Noble's crossfield ball from the left was too short for defender James Tomkins, and Brady was onto it like a flash. The former Hull man darted into the penalty area before dispatching a low finish past Adrian.

Stoke City notched their first Premier League win of the season as substitute Mame Biram Diouf's late header saw them beat Bournemouth 2-1 at the Britannia Stadium.

The visitors suffered a major blow early on when their top scorer Callum Wilson was carried off on a stretcher, and with Eddie Howe's men still seemingly recovering from the shock, Jonathan Walters put Stoke ahead in the 32nd minute with a close-range finish.

A week on from letting a 2-0 half-time lead slip in a 2-2 home draw with Leicester, it then seemed the Potters might have blown it again in the 76th minute when Dan Gosling fired in an equaliser.

But Diouf nodded home with seven minutes to go as Mark Hughes' side finally sealed a victory that takes them out of the relegation zone.

Virgil van Dijk's first goal in England and Sadio Mane's third in a week helped fire Southampton to a 3-1 win over Swansea. Centre-half Van Dijk, the £13m deadline-day signing from Celtic, headed an early opener before Dusan Tadic struck at the start of the second half.

Mane then added the third to make it nine goals for free-scoring Saints this week following their Capital One Cup demolition of MK Dons.

Swansea, by contrast, are now without a win from their last four matches, although they at least registered their first goal in that stretch when Gylfi Sigurdsson tucked away a penalty.

The Swans could have taken the lead in the sixth-minute when Maarten Stekelenburg parried Jonjo Shelvey's shot into the path of Ki Sung-Yueng.

But unfortunately for Ki, the South Korean midfielder's effort blazed high over the crossbar. Saints began to threaten after Victor Wanyama robbed Andre Ayew and fed Graziano Pelle, who teed up Mane for a shot which he dragged across goal and inches wide.

And the opening goal arrived in the 10th minute when Van Dijk shook off the attentions of his marker, former Saint Jack Cork, to power in a near-post header from James Ward-Prowse's corner.

Swansea briefly threatened to rally before half-time but Shelvey's shot flew over and Stekelenburg saved well low down from Ki.

Garry Monk made a double change at half-time, hauling off Cork and the ineffective Bafetimbi Gomis.

But Southampton gave themselves some breathing space in the 54th minute when Pelle's neat chip sent Tadic scampering in behind.

The Serbian midfielder looked to have gone too wide but as he cut back inside and shot, the ball looped up off the boot of Ki and flew over Swansea goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski.

And just as Saints fans began regaling their Welsh visitors with a chorus of Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Mane popped up with his fourth goal of the season.

Ashley Williams only half-cleared after Pelle prodded the ball goalwards and Mane was on hand to guide a precise, low shot inside Fabianski's right-hand post from 20 yards.

Swansea did at least manage a consolation, ending their recent goal drought, after Neil Taylor was brought down by Jose Fonte in the 82nd minute and Sigurdsson stepped up to tuck in the spot-kick.

Sunday Indo Sport