Thursday 24 May 2018

Graeme Souness apologises for storming off Sky Sports set during Liverpool v Brighton coverage

Graeme Souness
Graeme Souness
Graeme Souness

Callum Davis

Graeme Souness has apologised to Sky Sports production staff after storming off the set during their coverage of the final day of the Premier League season.

The former Liverpool manager was on punditry duty at Anfield where his old side beat Brighton 4-0 to secure a top-four spot in the table.

Souness reacted angrily after allegedly being interrupted by production staff, who were asking him to conclude his point with an advertisement break about to start.

According to the Daily Mail, the 65-year-old left the studio during the commercial, saying: "I don’t need this. That’s four times today you have shut me up."

Souness, who was in the studio alongside fellow pundit Thierry Henry, was replaced by Gary Neville as Sky resumed their coverage from Anfield.

A Sky Sports spokesperson confirmed an incident had taken place but insisted Souness had since apologised for his behaviour.

"Graeme reacted badly to a directive to wrap up his comments before an ad break," said a Sky spokesperson. "But he has been in touch with the production team to apologise."

There had been some suggestion that Souness had been withdrawn for inappropriate comments made about Mohamed Salah.

During a segment in which Henry and Souness were reflecting on the Egyptian's record-breaking Premier League goal tally, the Scot compared Salah to Liverpool legend, Kenny Dalglish, but 'with a suntan.'

"I was working with Kenny's daughter, Kelly, and I said 'he's like your dad with a suntan,'" said Souness.

"He's got a football brain which has a different picture to most people."

Telegraph.co.uk

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport