Francesco Guidolin agrees new two-year contract with Swansea
Francesco Guidolin is to remain as Swansea boss after agreeing a new two-year contract with the Barclays Premier League club.
Swansea confirmed that Guidolin's deal was ratified at a board meeting on Wednesday.
The 60-year-old Italian took over from a sacked Garry Monk in January on a short-term contract until the end of this season, and has since guided Swansea to Premier League safety by winning seven and drawing three of his 15 games in charge.
Guidolin took over a team in serious relegation danger, and had the sole target of securing Swansea's Premier League survival.
But he turned the club's fortunes around, with Swansea currently 11th in the table on 46 points going into their final game of the season against Liberty Stadium visitors Manchester City this weekend.
"I am pleased to confirm that we have reached an agreement with Francesco on a new two-year contract," Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins told the club's official website.
"Francesco fully deserves the chance to continue his good work into the new campaign.
"He was prepared to come into the club at such a difficult time and put himself in a pressure situation with the club fighting for survival.
"He has achieved the goal of securing top-flight football for this club with plenty to spare, and has earned the right to start afresh next season.
"It's going to be another challenge for everyone, but we are looking forward to seeing how far he can take this squad of players over a full season.
"We are confident that he can carry on the good work at the end of this season into the new campaign."
Former Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers, who took the club into the Premier League in 2012, had been heavily linked with a return to the Liberty Stadium since leaving Liverpool last October.
Rodgers revealed in January that he had been approached to succeed Monk, but he told the Swansea board that he wanted a break from football until this summer.
Jenkins added: "There has obviously been a lot of speculation over recent weeks about a possible change of manager, but the board has been impressed with the way he has quietly gone about the job of improving performances and results since January.
"Francesco and his staff have also gained valuable experience of working with the current group of players and Premier League football. That should stand everyone in good stead as we prepare for the new season ahead.
"It's a chance for him to prepare the players throughout pre-season and fully instil his way of working on the group after a hectic and crucial few months."
Swansea confirmed that the Italian members of Guidolin's backroom staff - Gabriele Ambrosetti and Diego Bortoluzzi - have also been offered new contracts.