| 17.1°C Dublin

Burnley climb out of the relegations zone by condemning QPR to 10th straight away loss


Burnley's English striker Danny Ings (R) celebrates with teammates after scoring his team's winner

Burnley's English striker Danny Ings (R) celebrates with teammates after scoring his team's winner

AFP/Getty Images

Burnley's English striker Danny Ings (R) celebrates with teammates after scoring his team's winner

Harry Redknapp was forced to endure his QPR side settling to a new, unwanted Premier League record as his side slumped to a 2-1 defeat in the sleet at a bitterly-cold Burnley.

It was Rangers' 10th consecutive away defeat from the start of the season and the result sees Burnley leapfrog the visitors to leave Redknapp's side in the bottom three.

Sean Dyche's Clarets had two exquisite goals to thank for the three points, from Scott Arfield and Danny Ings either side of a Charlie Austin penalty, and Burnley had the better of the chances after that.

Redknapp, without Rio Ferdinand available, was so desperate for points that he even picked out-of-favour Adel Taraabt for his first appearance since October.

It was Burnley's George Boyd who had the first sniff of goal, aided by a slip in the QPR defence, but his shot was tame.

But the Clarets were not denied for long as Arfield opened the scoring in the 12th minute thanks to a combination of skill and persistence, nutmegging two players during a mazy run and executing a sweet finish, curling the ball low to Robert Green's left.

QPR had shown nothing in attack until that point and going behind at least stung the visitors into action.

Austin, whose contribution had proved decisive when the sides had met at Loftus Road, smashed a shot against the upright and a minute later Leroy Fer volleyed a foot wide.

Rangers had Green to thank for keeping them a single goal behind when David Jones' deep free-kick almost curled all the way in, the QPR keeper just scooping it to safety.

It was almost inevitable that Austin would once again draw blood against his former club and so it proved. He drew a clumsy challenge from Dean Marney and went down, leaving referee Andre Marriner with little option. Austin dusted himself down and rifled the spot-kick home.

Some outstanding play by Joey Barton then set up Taarabt who drew a flying save from Tom Heaton.

But just as it looked as though the self-belief was flooding through Rangers' veins, Ings contrived a brilliant goal to make it 2-1, leaving Steven Caulker and Richard Dunne flat-footed before nipping the ball past Green.

It stayed like that until the break, but there seemed precious little evidence of QPR being tighter in defence after the re-start.

The visitors completely switched off at a throw-in and Ashley Barnes was allowed to receive the ball in the penalty area completely unchallenged and only Green's smart save denied him - the QPR keeper then delivering a furious volley at his defenders.

Barnes flashed another shot over the cross-bar, Eduardo Vargas flicked a header from a free-kick straight into Heaton's arms but the Clarets immediately broke quickly to see Ings fashion himself a shooting chance only to slice wide.

The writing looked to be on the wall for QPR and Redknapp responded by sending on a striker, Bobby Zamora, for midfielder Karl Henry.

Burnley did get the ball in the net immediately afterwards but Barnes was all over Green before bundling it home, and once again it looked the right call by Marriner.

Sam Vokes came off the bench as Dyche tried to apply the coup de grace and almost immediately he had a chance to make it 3-1 but could not find the right finish.

Michael Keane saw his headed effort saved as Burnley finished strongly before Heaton tipped over Caulker's powerful header to secure a well-merited victory.

PA Media