Friday 6 December 2019

Sergio Aguero claims he was spat at by Wigan fan as former referee criticises Anthony Taylor

Sergio Aguero clashes with a fan after Manchester City’s defeat to Wigan last night. Photo: Getty
Sergio Aguero clashes with a fan after Manchester City’s defeat to Wigan last night. Photo: Getty
Kevin Palmer

Kevin Palmer

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero has claimed he was spat at by a Wigan fan before lashing out at in the chaotic scenes at the end of Monday night's FA Cup fifth round tie.

Wigan's surprise 1-0 defeat of the Premier League leaders sparked scenes of jubilation among Wigan fans, with some running on the field to toast their moment of victory and yet the joy turned to anger as a fan shouted in the face of Aguero, who was captured on television lashing out at the supporter.

Now it has emerged that Aguero told club officials that he was spat at by the supporter and that obscenities were shouting in his face, which inspired him to react in such an angry manner.

The Football Association are believed to be examining footage of the incidents that marred the end of the tie at the DW Stadium, with possible sanctions to follow against both clubs after both sets of players and supporters may have broken FA rules.

Wigan and City may be charged with failing to control their players after some heated exchanges with match officials, while Aguero could face a possible ban if he is found to be guilty following his clash with the fan.

Meanwhile, former Premier League referee Mark Halsey believes referee Anthony Taylor showed weakness in his handling of the tie, after he appeared to change his decision to send of City's Fabian Delph after initially making moves to hand him a yellow card for his first half tackle on Wigan's Max Power.

Read more here:

"The moment Anthony Taylor pulled out a yellow card out and started the cautioning procedure and writing Fabian Delph's number on the back, that should have been his final decision, but he was influenced by the protests of the Wigan players and coaching team and that appeared to change his mind," Halsey told Yahoo Sport.

"That can never happen. You have to stand by your decision whatever pressure you may come under and stay mentally strong. A referee looks weak if it appears he is being influenced by players surrounding him on the field.

"When a player make a challenge of the nature Delph did, he runs the risk of being sent off when he went into that challenge and he gave the referee a decision that could have gone either way. It was between a yellow and red card, maybe an orange card you could say, but that does not explain the way the referee handled the situation.

"The first mistake he made was pulling the yellow card out so quickly. The referee should have taken time to assess the situation, replay the incident in his mind and seek additional information from his colleagues to come to right conclusion.

"Both the referee and the fourth official have to be strong despite the pressure of that situation and on this occasion, both appeared to lack that conviction to stand by the initial decision, which was a yellow card.

"Once the referee is going through a cautioning procedure, the fourth official should not give any additional information, but it appeared that protocol was broken on this occasion."

Who is your sportstar of the year?

Vote in the Irish Independent Sport Star Awards and you could win the ultimate sports prize.

Prizes include, tickets to Ireland's against Scotland in the Six Nations, All Ireland football and hurling final tickets and much more.

Simply click here to register your vote

Online Editors

The Left Wing: The problem with the Champions Cup, the Stephen Larkham effect and trouble in Welsh rugby

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport