Sunday 17 December 2017

Moorhouse on song as Crumlin shock Harps

Crumlin United's Gregory Moorhouse. Photo: Ramsey Cardy / Sportsfile
Crumlin United's Gregory Moorhouse. Photo: Ramsey Cardy / Sportsfile Newsdesk Newsdesk

Greg Moorhouse was the toast of Crumlin United as his goal secured a 1-0 win away to Finn Harps on Saturday evening.

The Dublin side overcame Letterkenny United in the FAI Intermediate Cup final the previous week and continued their dominance over Donegal teams here, as a goal soon after half-time condemned luckless Harps to a third straight defeat.

Ethan Boyle and Liam Flatley had chances in the first half for the hosts, who came in off the back of losses to Dundalk and St Patrick's Athletic - conceding 11 goals in the process.

Crumlin, showing no signs of ill-effects after the Intermediate Cup win, had a great chance when Moorhouse set up Alan McGreal - but he couldn't make the most of the opportunity - and the game remained scoreless at half-time. Sloppy Harps defending allowed Moorhouse to score what proved to be the winner.

The goalscorer did go close to adding another, but Harps exerted most of the late pressure. However, Crumlin goalkeeper, Shane Supple, was never truly tested.

Eight-man Sheriff YC's unbeaten season came to a shuddering halt when Janesboro came from a goal down to dump the Dublin side out.

Aidan Hurley had equalised Jeffrey Flood's first-half opener before Arron Nunan came off the bench to score the winner.

Sheriff had Darren Dunne, John Lester and Joe O'Neill sent off as 'Boro exacted revenge for their FAI Junior Cup defeat to the same opposition.

Another non-league side progressing are Ringmahon Rangers of Cork - 2-1 winners at home to Dublin's Glebe North. Paul Deasy and Roy Kenny put Ringmahon ahead early in the second half and, while Ciaran O'Connor pulled a goal back for Glebe, an equaliser remained elusive.

Elsewhere, Donegal's Letterkenny Rovers will have another chance to make round three after they held Athlone Town to a scoreless draw.

Eoin McGreevy's goal early in the second half was the key as Cobh Ramblers prevailed 2-1 at home to Cherry Orchard. Shane O'Connor had the Cork side ahead inside two minutes and the former Ipswich man should probably have doubled the lead before Cobh's non-league visitors were level.

Ryan Coombes got the equaliser coming up to half-time, benefiting from Jack Memery's good cross. On the resumption, Jonathan Cremaer was architect for McGreevy's goal to restore Cobh's lead and they had chances to extend their lead in the second half. While they were left hanging on, solid defending ensured that they dealt with everything that was thrown at them.

Limerick also progressed, with John O'Flynn netting a hat-trick as they ran out 5-2 winners away to Bluebell United.

The Shannonsiders led 4-0 inside 55 minutes with goals from Chris Mulhall and O'Flynn's trio - two from the penalty spot.

Bluebell did threaten a late fightback as Sean Byrne and Toyeeb Mustapha scored in the 77th and 84th minutes respectively, but Paul O'Connor struck in injury time to rubber-stamp Limerick's progression.

St Patrick's Athletic had an easy 8-0 win at home to Pike Rovers, all of the goals coming in the first 61 minutes. Billy Dennehy, Mark Timlin and Graham Kelly each scored twice for the Saints, who also had goals from Michael Barker and Daniel Corcoran.

Sligo Rovers also progressed with ease, as Kieran Sadlier, Jimmy Keohane and Gavin Peers saw them beyond Cabinteely.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport