Liverpool reject Barca claims of £10m Suarez discount
Luis Suarez admitted yesterday that he had been worried that his dental assault on Giorgio Chiellini in the World Cup finals might compromise his transfer to Barcelona.
"Yes, it was obvious I got concerned," Suarez said. "Not just by the process, but because of what I did as a person. But this is part of the past."
Suarez was signed from Liverpool on July 14, but it was clear from what he said that the negotiations had been under way since well before the World Cup started.
What is more Jordi Mestre, the Barcelona vice-president, speaking alongside him, claimed that Suarez's long-standing keenness to join the Catalans had resulted in Liverpool accepting a much lower price for him that they had originally anticipated.
"Our negotiations started some time ago before the World Cup," Mestre said. "£75m was the original price, we negotiated it down to £65m, which was down to two factors, the skill of those negotiating and Luis' willingness to join Barcelona. He had significant offers, better offers, but he always said he is a Barca fan."
A senior Liverpool source countered these claims saying: "That is not correct". The Anfield club have always insisted they received the full £75m for the player.
Suarez also hinted that he is taking psychiatric help. "It is a private matter, but I have talked to the right professionals," the striker said.
He will have plenty of opportunity to talk. Barcelona's season starts this weekend with a match on Sunday against Elche. However, Suarez will not be involved in competitive games until after October 24 (though he can play in a friendly for his country next month). (© Daily Telegraph, London)