Brighton extend Richie Towell's contract following promotion to the Premier League
Brighton & Hove Albion have extended midfielder Richie Towell's contract with the club until 2019, with the 2015 PFAI Players' Player of the Year set to stay on at Falmer Stadium for another two seasons.
After moving to Chris Hughton's side from Dundalk at the end of 2015, Towell has made just two appearances in the Brighton first team with a further four starts for the club's U23 side.
Earlier this week Hughton said that Towell and fellow midfielder Rohan Ince would both leave the club on loan next season, but that the former Dundalk star would have a future at the club with Brighton confirming his contract extension on the club's website on Saturday morning.
Speaking on Towell's future, Hughton told The Argus: "Players like Rohan (Ince) and Richie will go out on loan. We have been really delighted with Richie but we are very keen for him to get out on loan to the Championship next season."
Towell scored his first goal for Brighton in January during his side’s fourth round FA Cup defeat to non-league side Lincoln City. He then made his first league appearance for the club when he was brought on as 84th minute substitute in a 2-0 win against Rotherham United in March.
Meanwhile Towell's teammates David Stockdale, Gaetan Bong, Steve Sidwell and Niki Maenpaa have all been awarded new contracts at the club.
Speaking on the renewals, Hughton told the club's website: "I'm sure this won't come as a major surprise to most people - and we hope the four players we have offered new contracts will be with us next season for our first season in the Premier League."