Wednesday 16 October 2019

Bayern Munich begin rebuilding with €80m signing of Atletico Madrid star

Lucas Hernandez of Atletico Madrid will join Bayern Munich in the summer. (Photo by Aitor Alcalde/Getty Images)
Lucas Hernandez of Atletico Madrid will join Bayern Munich in the summer. (Photo by Aitor Alcalde/Getty Images)

Bayern Munich have announced the signing of France defender Lucas Hernandez from Atletico Madrid for 80 million euros (£68million).

Hernandez, part of the French team who won the 2018 World Cup, will join Bayern on July 1 on a five-year contract.

The Bundesliga outfit said it had been discovered during the 23-year-old's medical that he had suffered damage to the medial collateral ligament in his right knee, and that following discussions with Atletico, he was to undergo surgery on Wednesday.

Hernandez said on Bayern's official website: "This is a really important day in my footballing career.

"FC Bayern Munich is one of the best clubs in Europe and the world. I'm proud to be able to fight for all possible titles with Bayern."

Bayern said Hernandez, who came through Atletico's youth set-up after joining them in 2007, was expected to be available for the start of next season.

PA Media

The Left Wing: Welcome to Irish rugby's biggest week - is an upset on the cards?

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport