Sport Soccer

Thursday 22 February 2018

Mourinho: I'm judged by higher standards than other managers

Jose Mourinho defended his Champions League record today
Jose Mourinho defended his Champions League record today

DECLAN WHOOLEY

An animated Jose Mourinho defended his managerial record today following criticism after his third Champions League semi-final defeat.

Chelsea were ousted by Atletico Madrid after a 3-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge and some have criticised the 51 year-old’s record in light of the money spent and talent available.

“Last year, I won Super Cup against Barcelona,” he said.

“I'm going to tell you something about my career.”

“In 2010, I reached the maximum of my career, I won everything. This is the maximum. In the first season, I won the cup against the best team in the world, I finished second to the best team in the world, and lost the semi-final to best team in the world, then we won the league against the best team in the world, with all the records.”

“We lost in the semi-finals of the Champions League [against Bayern] when two of the best penalty-takers in the world missed penalties.

“The next season, we beat Barca in all the big matches, and lost the Champions League semi-final by one goal.”

“In my fourth season, I go to Champions League semi-final, I fight for title until last moment, so these are four bad seasons of my career?”

“I got wrong by doing year after year like nobody else did. You arrive into a level where finish second is not good, semi-final is not good.”

Mourinho believes that the basis of criticism is the fact that he is held accountable to different standards than all other managers.

“I'm guilty of that [being judged by higher standards], and I'm proud to be guilty of that.”

Mourinho also added that he was not pleased with Eden Hazard’s comments midweek, even if they were taken out of context.

The Belgian star appeared to criticise the tactics employed by Mourinho in the 3-1 Champions League semi-final second leg defeat to Atletico Madrid, suggesting the team “was not set-up to play football.”

At a press conference today, the 51 year-old gas said that while the comments were taken out of context, he was not happy with what was said.

“First of all, I listen to the interview, the words are completely different than some media was bringing,” he said.

“The context was completely transformed. There was nothing critical in what he said.”

“I’m not happy. He needs to improve.”

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport