Sport Soccer

Thursday 14 December 2017

Mourinho: Blame me, not the players, for shock defeat

Jose Mourinho accepted responsibility after his Chelsea team suffered a shock 2-1 Champions League defeat to Basle.

The Portuguese manager had been expected to enjoy a winning return to the Stamford Bridge dugout in European competition, and he looked set to do so when Oscar put his side ahead.

But Mohamed Salah and Marco Streller made sure the ex-Real Madrid boss had plenty to think about, especially after a Premier League loss to Everton on Saturday.

"I am the manager, I am responsible for everything," he told Sky Sports 1.

"Especially after a bad result. In the good moments I want everyone to shine, in the bad moments I want everyone to keep calm.

"Tomorrow I will not wake up with a smile on my face but at seven o'clock I will work hard to get three points at Fulham. In the next match we go to Bucharest (in the Champions League), we have to get the points to put us in the Champions League. We don't want to play in the Europa League."

While few had expected Chelsea to lose, Mourinho was not too perplexed.

"I not in shock because sometimes we win, sometimes we lose," he said.

"But I am not happy. We gave one step back for qualification and we have to assume the responsibility that we have five matches to qualify."

Irish Independent Sport Star Awards

Pick our magic sports moment of the year and win a trip for two to London. To view the shortlist and cast your vote click here.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport