Saturday 24 February 2018

Morrissey pounces to foil Drogheda fightback

Drogheda United 2 Cork City 3

Jamie Moore

Had the scoreboard read 5-5, nobody at Hunky Dorys Park would have been surprised.

In a game filled with chances, Cork's quick start saw them two goals to the good. Drogheda rallied to get back on level terms, before Danny Morrissey won it for the visitors with three minutes remaining.

The opener came in the 11th minute after a mistake from Alan Byrne. He gave away possession to Danny Morrissey and the bright young striker found Ciaran Kilduff, who turned inside before finishing low past Gabriel Sava.

City doubled their lead four minutes later after more poor play from Drogheda as Peter Hynes gave the ball away. Kilduff skipped past Byrne and found Shane Duggan, whose shot flew past Sava.

Mick Daly's glancing header from Jason Marks' brilliantly delivered corner hit the crossbar as Drogheda responded. Ryan Brennan then missed a penalty before the home team got the goal their play deserved on the stroke of half-time, Brennan finishing well after a knockdown from Peter Hynes.

Drogheda continued their dominance and equalised eight minutes after the break. Brennan found Marks and he slipped the ball inside to Hynes, who took a touch before finishing calmly.

Kilduff and Turner missed chances for Cork, while Byrne and Foley could have won it for Drogheda before teenager Morrissey popped up with the winner.

Drogheda had the ball in the net a minute later, but referee Rob Harvey called back play for a foul in the build-up.

Drogheda United – Sava; Daly, McNally, A Byrne, Hand; Brady (Cassidy 69), Holohan (P O'Conor 69), Foley, R Brennan, Marks (O'Brien 79); Hynes.

Cork City – McNulty; Kavanagh, Buckley, Spillane, Murphy; Turner, G Morrissey, Duggan, Horgan; D Morrissey, Kilduff.

Ref – Rob Harvey

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport