Sport Soccer

Wednesday 21 March 2018

Michael's end cup dream for nine-man Sheriff

Jimmy Carr, St. Michaels FC, in action against Paul Murphy, Sheriff YC
Jimmy Carr, St. Michaels FC, in action against Paul Murphy, Sheriff YC
Paul Breen, St. Michaels FC, in action against David Browne and Peter Halpin, Sheriff YC
St. Michaels FC players celebrate after the final whistle

Defending champions Sheriff YC crashed out of the FAI Junior Cup and had two players sent off as Tipperary's St Michael's got a late winner in a turgid encounter.

Full-back Brian Buckley , who was voted man of the match, pounced on a slip in the Sheriff defence in the 84th minute to lob goalkeeper Peter Halpin in what was the game's only real moment of class.

Moments later, Sheriff right-back Paul Murphy was shown a straight red card for a foul on Jimmy Carr and then Anthony Kavanagh was given his marching orders after being shown the yellow card for the second time for a late challenge on Carr.

That prompted a minor scuffle, with the centre-back re-entering the pitch to exchange words with the St Michael's player before eventually being ushered towards the dressing room.

Down to nine players, Sheriff had a half- chance in the last minute but Anthony Kane failed to take it, leaving St Michael's looking forward to an all-Munster final and a chance to win the competition for the first time since 1974.

Ballynanty Rovers booked their place in the decider at the Aviva Stadium on May 25 by beating Collinstown in a penalty shoot-out at Jackman Park.

Brian Doran hit the sudden-death winner after extra-time had failed to break the 1-1 deadlock.

Ballynanty goalkeeper Steven McNamara, who had already been named man of the match after an incredible triple save in normal time, kept out three spot-kicks, including one which he acrobatically tipped on to the bar.

It was tough on Collinstown who looked much stronger in the first half and took the lead on 32 minutes when livewire striker Anto McCormack raced on to a breaking ball to outpace the Ballynanty defence and lift his shot over the advancing McNamara.

Ballynanty's threats came mainly from set-pieces and, after a throw-in had caused hesitation in the Collinstown defence on 75 minutes, David Dunphy arrived to send the tie into extra-time.

The first six penalties in the shoot-out were scored before McNamara and Doran made the decisive contributions to help their side to a 5-4 win.

Avondale United will face UCD in the the final of the FAI Intermediate Cup as they bid for a record-equalling four-in-a-row after the Belfield students overwhelmed St Patrick's CY 5-0 in theirsemi-final replay at the UCD Bowl.

UCD last played in the final way back in 1946 when they beat Cobh Ramblers 4-2.

Indo Sport

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport